Eaglebeak

Community Based Organizations for 2019?

Being a new recreational flyer, I'm still trying to learn and follow the regulations of which some are still not in place. One such rule on my newly printed sUAS Certificate of Registration is the requirement to follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization. One is the AMA but their Safety Guidelines and Safety Handbook seem geared more to the modeler. Also, the Handbook is still using the now defunct FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF 2012. The other is the Drone User Group Network and they have nothing current on their web site since 2017. Does anyone know if they are still active? I've tried googling for that info and keep coming up dry? I tried contacting them through the DUGN web site several weeks ago and never got an answer. Are there any other CBOs that yet meet FAA's criteria and approval?

Hi @Eaglebeak

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum! This topic has been an ongoing discussion as the repeal of Section 336 has led to some confusion. Currently the FAA has not announced any organizations that are considered Community-Based Organizations. The FAA has stated that in the future it will issue guidance as to how the agency will recognize Community-Based Organizations. 

Here is an excerpt on the current status of CBO's from the Federal Register:

"Until the FAA establishes the criteria and process and begins recognizing CBOs, it cannot coordinate the development of safety guidelines. Accordingly, no recognized CBOs or coordinated safety guidelines currently exist, as contemplated by section 44809(a)(2). Additionally, the FAA acknowledges that aeromodelling organizations have developed safety guidelines that are helpful to recreational flyers. The FAA has determined that it is in the public interest to reasonably interpret this condition to allow recreational unmanned aircraft operations under the exception while the FAA implements all statutory conditions. The alternative would be to prohibit these operations or to require all operators of recreational unmanned aircraft to obtain a remote pilot certificate under 14 CFR part 107 and comply with the part 107 operating rules. Accordingly, to facilitate continued recreational unmanned aircraft operations during the implementation process, the FAA finds that operations conducted in accordance with existing safety guidelines of an aeromodelling organization satisfy this condition, provided those guidelines do not conflict with the other statutory conditions of section 44809(a)."

"Alternatively, during this interim period, the FAA directs recreational flyers to existing basic safety guidelines, which are based on industry best practices, on its website (faa.gov/uas):

Fly only for recreational purposes
Keep your unmanned aircraft within your visual line-of-sight or within the visual line of sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you
Do not fly above 400 feet in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace
Do not fly in controlled airspace without an FAA authorization
Follow all FAA airspace restrictions, including special security instructions and temporary flight restrictions
Never fly near other aircraft
Always give way to all other aircraft
Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people
Never fly near emergency response activities
Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol"

For now, I would follow the rules laid out by the FAA in the excerpt above until the FAA has established a process for recognizing CBOs. 

I hope this helps! 

- Chase 

Thanks, Chase. I just printed this very information about two days earlier. I wanted it as proof, just in the very rare event I got questioned by authorities as to what guidelines I was following. I think this is very helpful information for at least us newbs and I appreciate the time you took to place it here. Thanks so much.

• Like 1