Hello All,

So I currently have a beginner UAS (UDI 818A HD+), and am looking at the next level to get ready for the business launch in the near future. I am primarily interested in Real Estate and Commercial services, but want to be able to expand into agricultural, 3D mapping, and other services, in the near future. I was looking at the MARIP camera and saw they were primarily a 3DR Solo company due to being able to mount multiple cameras on the airframe.

Are there any recommendations for which is the "better" next step, or are they equivalent? 

Any recommendations on how to branch out and learn the system and how to process the data? I've looked at several sites on 3D mapping, and other things, but want to know how people branched out in this area.

Should I stop thinking about this and just get the business up and running? I personally think between USFS, and other agricultural needs in the area, this could be a good area to become an expert in.

Any other tips, tricks, or downfalls people have run into when branching out?

Thanks in advance for all information...Respectfully,

Joe

Welcome @Txpilot, sounds like you would have a wonderful conversation with @Lewis@IcarusAerials and the fellas over there as they are 3D aerial data collection and mapping experts. They may be able to give you more feed back on running a rig with multiple sensors working synchronously on a 3DR product as well. 

I would suggest if you are really interested in this begin by learning the 3D photogrammetry work flow and concepts of overlap and side lap and the general mechanics behind how this technology works ( you dont need to break it down the the linear algebra and matrices unless you really want to) but understanding the process should help you find what you need to practice with on the practical sides of things. I would say get up and do some tests, have a house, map it, have a friend with a barn, Map it. See a pile of dirt in a field map it!

I think you get it the biggest thing will be getting practice capturing good data, i use agisoft photoscan, others utilize pix4D there are several services that offer cloud computation of the data, others that support local rigs. I would highly suggest taking a look at the course on mapping and modelling here on UAVcoach as a starting point! I found it very informative and very helpful.

• Like 1

I agree with this advice. 

I'd pick up a P3P and get started without fun sensors so you can get an idea of what you will eventually need. 

Once you have the general mapping down, then figure out which market(s) you want to go after, and read up on all of the sensors you can. There are small but important differences in all of the camera options. 

Take our class!

• Like 1

I am already signed up for the course, so thanks for the suggestions, but already on that one! I appreciate all the other advice too! Now, I just need some free time to complete the course and do some more research on rigs/cameras, etc.

Thanks guys for the input.

• Like 2