erfan

What is the reason of ESC getting warm and sometimes burning

Hello 

i have used lumenier 51 A ESC for 2312E dji motor with a 4s battery after calibration I started to throttle up at about 70 % throttle , but suddenly I realized that the ESC is getting warm 

And then started to burn one of the mosfests in the ESC 

what could be the reason ?

Continues current of ESC is 51 and bursting of 80 A 

and s rating :2-6s (I used a 4s battery)

but I used a motor that draw at max 20 A 

I tested this ESC without propeller and checked it with power digital meter 

it was drawing less that one ampere 

so what could possibly go wrong ? 

I tested also with two other motors ( the result was the same (ESC started to warm up and burned ) 

@Spitfire76

8 hours ago, erfan said:

I tested also with two other motors ( the result was the same (ESC started to warm up and burned ) 

Have you only tried one ESC ?. If not try another as you may simply have a bad ESC.

Edited by Spitfire76

28 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

Have you only tried one ESC ?. If not try another as you may simply have a bad ESC.

No , I tried three ESCs out of 6 which I bought , but three of them warmed up and got burned,

What could be the reason?!

what is special about ESCs ?! Frequency?

A couple of things you may want to check.  One suggestion is don’t run the motor without props especially if you have breaking on.  Your regenerating and you have power going into the esc in both directions. 

It can also be a timing issue.  Generally if this is the case and you run the motor (and prop) on a test stand you’ll hear the motor cogging when you move the throttle quickly. 

I’m not familiar with that esc, we use KDE which you can program - https://www.kdedirect.com/collections/uas-multi-rotor-electronics/products/kde-uas75hvc

Esc’s generally do get hot to the touch but obviously they shouldn’t burn. What aren’t you using DJI esc’s?  DJI stuff doesn’t play nice with Non-DJI components.  They’re kind of jerks about that...