Where to Fly a Drone in New Orleans

It's often challenging to find a legal, safe, and visually interesting location to fly your drone, especially in a densely populated area with one or more airports.

After a round of comprehensive research, our team compiled a list of where to fly a drone in New Orleans. We also have this list of drone laws in Louisiana that might be helpful. 

Where do you like to fly your drone in New Orleans? We welcome your comments/experiences below.

• 2 months later...

Flying a drone/quad copter in the New Orleans City Park is a no...no.  No R/C craft allowed anywhere in the Park especially near their new golf course.  If you fly a drone there, you will certinally get a visit from the Park Police and NOPD.  

Another place you recomended was Laketown Pier in Kenner, not allowed.  Laketown at the end of Williams Blvd at the lake is under a landing pattern for commercial aircraft going to MSY Airport.  Heads up, flying there you will get a visit from Kenner PD and Airport Police, with possible visit to HQ.  Just not worth it!!

Just saying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Fireman & @TADracer

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum and thank you for providing us with this information. When we create a 'Where to Fly' page, there is an extensive amount of research that goes into each page. During our research we were unable to locate any regulations the prohibited the operation of drones within City Park. If you could link to a published regulations, that would be greatly appreciated! 

Regarding Laketown Pier, this locations sits outside of New Orleans Class B airspace and therefore, it is a legal location to fly a drone. 

The sectional chart below, shows that the Pier is located within the Class G airspace, the airspace does not start until 600 feet MSL as depicted on the sectional chart '70/06'. 

Best, 

- Chase 

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 9.43.48 PM.png

N.O. City Park Main phone is 504-482-4888. I talked with Miss Carrie Ducote (Safety Risk Manager for the Park).  I was told that Park Policies would be updated to include any RC/quad copters/drones.  Also that Park Police will be advised of my conversation and any updated policies.

Just trying to keep flyers from incuring any fines or legal actions.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, Fireman said:

N.O. City Park Main phone is 504-482-4888. I talked with Miss Carrie Ducote (Safety Risk Manager for the Park).  I was told that Park Policies would be updated to include any RC/quad copters/drones.  Also that Park Police will be advised of my conversation and any updated policies.

Just trying to keep flyers from incuring any fines or legal actions.

so what did you find out, is it ok to fly in City Park?

Hello Chase,

Recently UAVCoach changed the Louisiana laws page to include a link for City Park -

City Park New Orleans — Park Rules 

"This park rule prohibits the use of drones within City Park, violating this rule can result in your park pass being revoked."

However this link refers to City Bark, which is a tiny dog park inside of City Park. It is less than one acre in size, out of 1300 acres of the park. City Bark does require a fee and a pass to bring your dog, however the rest of the park does not.

As of yet, I haven't seen any official policy on drones for the main park on their website. But according to 'Fireman' it looks like it will be coming in the future.

Hi @NOLADG

Thanks for bringing this up! We have linked to this as it states there are no drones allowed in the City Bark area of City Park, which can result in your park pass being revoked if you are found flying a drone. We do have information that more official regulations will be published soon by the park, prohibiting drone operations within the park. Once we have a link to that documentation we will update that on our 'Drone Laws' Louisiana page. 

Best, 

Chase 

• 8 months later...