Sign in to follow this  
FalconDriver50

Exemtion 333 approval with Pilots License

Anyone have the soop, on whether its easier or not to receive the exemption if you can prove to the feds you're already licensed pilot, holding a medical?  Currently, I have an ATP, CFII licenses, with medical and just applied for the exemption, and I wonder if they're more lenient towards licensed pilots.  Anyone know if this helps?  I did the exemption process myself and now starting to wonder if I shouldn't have paid an attorney to draft it for me.

Hey @FalconDriver50

I'm not sure if it helps. They already require a pilot's cert to operate, so I don't think it makes a difference.

I did go through an attorney but don't remember if they put in the paperwork that I am an ATP rated pilot also. My application wad submitted about a month ago so we'll see how quick it goes.

I don't think it will help though, as I'm sure you have already dealt with the FAA over regular things and know how they operate. 

Where are you flying aviation appliances out of? Welcome to the boards. 

Hey @FalconDriver50 and @Txpilot,

So while you are in a great place once you are approved having the pilots license already; This should have no bearing on the speed or overall approval of the 333 exemption request. The 333 exemption is more for the aircraft than the PIC, though you must have a pilots certificate to be a PIC you are in now way required, nor does it have a bearing, to have one on the 333 Exemption.

It does place you in a good position for when you are approved, as you'll have the requirements for commercial operation satisfied then, but bunker in as the process is taking roughly 6 months after the official posting date on regulations.gov Hope this helpS

20 hours ago, FalconDriver50 said:

Anyone have the soop, on whether its easier or not to receive the exemption if you can prove to the feds you're already licensed pilot, holding a medical?  Currently, I have an ATP, CFII licenses, with medical and just applied for the exemption, and I wonder if they're more lenient towards licensed pilots.  Anyone know if this helps?  I did the exemption process myself and now starting to wonder if I shouldn't have paid an attorney to draft it for me.

Makes no real difference, having a license is not required to hold a 333, only to operate a UAV under a 333. I have a comml pilot license, it took me 6 months in 2015. Your app is reviewed in order of arrival. Don't waste good money on a lawyer, I wrote my own and have amended it twice since, successfully, w/o lawyers.

Edited by Uaviator53

2 hours ago, Txpilot said:

Hey @FalconDriver50

I'm not sure if it helps. They already require a pilot's cert to operate, so I don't think it makes a difference.

I did go through an attorney but don't remember if they put in the paperwork that I am an ATP rated pilot also. My application wad submitted about a month ago so we'll see how quick it goes.

I don't think it will help though, as I'm sure you have already dealt with the FAA over regular things and know how they operate. 

Where are you flying aviation appliances out of? Welcome to the boards. 

HeyTx,

Currently I'm flying out of KGSO for a Part91 operator.  We've dealt with the feds on numerous occasions, the latest to include a "tabletop" meeting regarding our CPDLC operations over the North Atlantic Tracks, so yeah... I'm familiar with how they operate! Ha!..  

That being said, I foresee more of these types meetings with the feds coming down the pipes with all these start up, Exemption 333 operators in the future.  So, keep good, detailed records and follow your Ops manuals to a tee folks, by all means!

I'm curious as to how these exemptions are going to affect ADS-B, which is suppose to go into effect January 01, 2020.  I can't imagine Part107 and the FAA being THAT proactive.  Maybe drones will have transponders by then?

Either way, thanks for the responses.  I guess I have a 6mo wait ahead of me at this point, and before I can startup my own side business.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Uaviator53 said:

Makes no real difference, having a license is not required to hold a 333, only to operate a UAV under a 333. I have a comml pilot license, it took me 6 months in 2015. Your app is reviewed in order of arrival. Don't waste good money on a lawyer, I wrote my own and have amended it twice since, successfully, w/o lawyers.

Good to know!  Hopefully I did the right thing! 

The reason I asked my original question, is because I read someone else's approval letter from the FAA and they actually used the fact that the "petitioner" had a commercial license as an argument to approve the exemption.  I wonder what the approvals vs the rejections are for folk that are actually licensed...