Angelwings

New and eager to learn

Hello my name is Shirlene and I just purchased my first drone.   I bought a Mavic pro and have yet to fly it :). I guess I’m just a little nervous.  Have always wanted a drone but now it seems way more difficult than I ever dreamed of. I’ve spent the last week reading and watching everything I can find on this drone. I’m a photographer so to add this to my hobby is going to be fun for me.  I’ve registered it already and am ready to take a leap. My biggest question is that I read you can’t fly it over people.  Isn’t that nearly impossible?  People are everywhere. I guess I’m just trying to be overly cautious at least until I fly it once. Any input or help is greatly appreciated. 

Hi @Angelwings

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum and congratulations on your new drone purchase! The Mavic Pro is a great drone and will make a great addition to your photography business. Adding a drone to your business will be classified as a commercial operation by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Therefore, you will need to pass the UAG exam to get your Part 107 Certification. If you would like to learn more about becoming certified, feel free to check out our 'Drone Certification Guide.' 

It is illegal to fly a drone over people and yes this can be difficult in many situations as we cannot always control our environment. Flying a drone over people can be waived under the Part 107 regulations, but this is rarely approved as the FAA is concerned with the safety of people on the ground. It is always best to remain vigilant and keep the drone away from people. 

I hope this helps!

- Chase