Sign in to follow this  
UnoMatt

building 3d printed with arduino

Recommended Posts

Started to build a 3d printed drone with UNO.   From what I've seen no one uses a PDB since they use a built frame with PDB installed.  I see they use resistors from the battery to the UNO.  Since i'm using a PDB I shouldn't have to use resistors correct? 

Also I see they don't plug the ESC's into the receiver.  Rather into the UNO.  Then output from receiver to UNO?  How would i wire that?  Cut the ESC to receiver wire and solder into UNO?  There doesn't seem to be any step by step on how to do this.

YMFC-3D_schematic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, UnoMatt said:

Started to build a 3d printed drone with UNO.   From what I've seen no one uses a PDB since they use a built frame with PDB installed.  I see they use resistors from the battery to the UNO.  Since i'm using a PDB I shouldn't have to use resistors correct? 

Also I see they don't plug the ESC's into the receiver.  Rather into the UNO.  Then output from receiver to UNO?  How would i wire that?  Cut the ESC to receiver wire and solder into UNO?  There doesn't seem to be any step by step on how to do this.

Hello @UnoMatt and welcome to the Forum. Not sure how to answer your question but it may help me if you explain a bit more about your project. It looks like you are building a flight controller from scratch using an Arduino Uno. 8 bit processors were first used in early flight controllers but these days 32 bit processors are mainly used. For example the open source Ardupilot software that I use for my drones was originally designed to work on Arduino processors, hence the "ardu" in the name but the software evolved so much it required more memory and processing power and several years ago the Arduino hardware was abandoned in favor of 32 bit arm processors.

So what software were you planning on using in your project or were you going to write your own ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Hello @UnoMatt and welcome to the Forum. Not sure how to answer your question but it may help me if you explain a bit more about your project. It looks like you are building a flight controller from scratch using an Arduino Uno. 8 bit processors were first used in early flight controllers but these days 32 bit processors are mainly used. For example the open source Ardupilot software that I use for my drones was originally designed to work on Arduino processors, hence the "ardu" in the name but the software evolved so much it required more memory and processing power and several years ago the Arduino hardware was abandoned in favor of 32 bit arm processors.

So what software were you planning on using in your project or were you going to write your own ?

Im using Joop Brokking code.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, UnoMatt said:

Im using Joop Brokking code.  

Interesting, I did not know about this project. I assume that you are building this one as I noticed he has also moved to 32 bit processors on his later build.

http://www.brokking.net/ymfc-al_main.html

To get back to your original post, yes the ESC have to be connected to the flight controller, in this case the UNO, and not the receiver. Each ESC should be powered directly from the battery in order to drive the motors. These typically are thicker wires to handle the higher current and connect to a power distribution board (PDB). Some ESCs provide +5v as they have a built in BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) but you should not use it if the +5v is provided to the UNO and receiver by another source (you diagram shows from the battery using a diode). Does you PDB have a built-in BEC ?. If so you could use that to power the UNO and receiver. 

 

Edited by Spitfire76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

Interesting, I did not know about this project. I assume that you are building this one as I noticed he has also moved to 32 bit processors on his later build.

http://www.brokking.net/ymfc-al_main.html

To get back to your original post, yes the ESC have to be connected to the flight controller, in this case the UNO, and not the receiver. Each ESC should be powered directly from the battery in order to drive the motors. These typically are thicker wires to handle the higher current and connect to a power distribution board (PDB). Some ESCs provide +5v as they have a built in BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) but you should not use it if the +5v is provided to the UNO and receiver by another source (you diagram shows from the battery using a diode). Does you PDB have a built-in BEC ?. If so you could use that to power the UNO and receiver. 

 

I've already soldered the esc's to the PDB.  The PDB supplies 5 volts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UnoMatt said:

I've already soldered the esc's to the PDB.  The PDB supplies 5 volts.

ok, great. Let us know when you get it in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spitfire76 said:

ok, great. Let us know when you get it in the air.

Sure thing.   Hopefully finish wiring this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this