Sign in to follow this  
Isabella | UAV Coach

New DJI Mavic Mini Launched

Today DJI, the world’s largest drone manufacturer, launched a brand new drone — the DJI Mavic Mini. This drone can fit in the palm of your hand and is almost as light as a smartphone.

Weighing just 249 grams (about half a pound), the DJI Mavic Mini is exempt from the FAA’s registration requirements. Any drone weighing 250 grams (0.55 lbs) or more must be registered with the FAA following these instructions.

While its tiny size is the most unique and outstanding feature, the Mavic Mini has a handful of other exciting characteristics. We discuss all of the features and specs, as well as built-in safety measures, who should fly the Mavic Mini, and where to purchase one in this post

The Mavic Mini is retailing for $399. What do you think of this price point and is this a drone you would like to fly? Let us know in the comments below. 

DJI Mavic Mini Tiny Drone.jpg

I purchased one based on two issues and a long history of wanting a Mavic Air. I am currently an indoor drone hobbyist with a number of mini drones. I have been looking at the Mavic Air as a step toward the outdoor world and future adventures. When I saw the specs of the DJI Mavic Mini and it's price I jumped. The Mavic Mini is not the Mavic Air but the Mini has many of the features I have looking at and is sturdy enough to be flown outdoors over a wide range of terrain. The two primary reasons for the purchase were the the long battery life and the foldability, although the reputation of the manufacture and the weight (read: lack of a license requirement) pushed me over the wall. I have not given up on the Mavic Air or one of it's bigger brothers, but have decided that the Mini is at the high end of the hobbyist environment, capabile of getting me outdoors, and could be the crossover or stepping stone into a larger (License required) drone  if I decide that is in my future. I will follow up in 20 days (+/-) when I finally receive the DJI Mavic Mini.

@WEA - Congrats on your exciting purchase! I would be interested in hearing more about your experience flying the Mavic Mini once it ships and delivers to you. This drone will check a lot of boxes for those in the hobbyist sector, and could absolutely be a good drone to test out before moving onto larger drones. 

Yes there is a Mavic Mini in this video - these guys have way too much fun.

I've built several of their foam board plane designs although much smaller than this one. 

Its an interesting piece of kit. Will be good to see how it accepts the sales of the Spark and the Air as it seems to be a in-between step.