PGlidden

Drone Repair

Hello my name is Paul Glidden. I live in New Hampshire, USA

I have been flying quadcopters / drones for little over a year now and love flying them! I have been into r/c hobby for over 25 years racing 1/10 scale cars and trucks since I was a kid and always done most of my own repairs.

I started a drone repair business on the side in May,  because of the long wait times me and my friends were having to get their drone repaired by the company they bought it from, for the mostly non-warranty repairs. I don't have a website yet, but plan on setting up something in the next few weeks. I do all repairs to all types of drones. From the small  micro quadcopters to the larger type like DJI phantoms, 3DR, Walkera,etc. I also do modifications, antenna upgrades, FPV,  to custom jobs. If you are in the northeast USA and need repair work done or just want to ask a question contact me on my Craigslist ad or email me directly. Here is my link to my ad.  Please let me know what you think? Any advise on  what else to put in ad would be appreciated. Thanks 

https://nh.craigslist.org/ele/5374364565.html

My email. tazzmech1@aol.com

• Like 5

Awesome (and needed) service. My only advice is to be very transparent about pricing and other expectations like the best way to ship to you, turnaround time, invoicing, etc. Customers want to know all that stuff up front. It's part of gaining their trust. Let us know when you have a live website! I think this is a great business to be in right now.

• Like 2

Hello PG - glad I found this as I crashed my Yuneek 4k last weekend - do you work on these as well? I'll email you - let me know. Thank you for posting this!!

@PGlidden Indeed a much in demand service with a market that should grow very well in the next decade as third party repairs will become even more needed with the increase in usage and mileage of drones. Echoing what @Alan Perlman said about pricing,  i would suggest getting up a simple website as soon as you can even if it is a holder page with minimal information it will help perspective clients to view you as a legitimate option for their service and repairs. this will also help you to start to generate some leads if you can capture emails for newsletters or even just having your contact information up and available.  

Sounds great keep it up and keep us advised of your progress.

Do you need a section 333 exemption + pilot license to operate an UAV repair business ?. I would imagine that you need to validate the repair by performing some test flights and so I guess the answer is yes but was not sure.

Edited by Spitfire76

6 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

Do you need a section 333 exemption + pilot license to operate an UAV repair business ?. I would imagine that you need to validate the repair by performing some test flights and so I guess the answer is yes but was not sure.

Technically, yes. You'd need a 333 Exemption at the moment. 

Part 107 will make it easier for ideas like this to become legitimate.

• Like 1

I havent got mine yet, but agree that it would help alot when trying out the repaired or modified drone and making sure that everything is in working order. I haven't heard back from FAA about mine but should be anytime now. Looking forward to expanding into the real estate aerial photography and commercial inspections of roofs and smoke stacks. 

• Like 1

I believe that the UAV repair business is where I could leverage my building experience but as I am using home built UAVs I don't have any exposure to DJI products which I imagine would be the main source of this business. Any comments or advice on getting into this business would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi, Paul, this is awesome. I have to search this type s of sites of how to fix my drone. I have a DJI Phantom 3 drone, the camera is not working. Can you fix this problem and what is the cost? please let me know. 

Hi Paul. 

I am looking forward to putting in my list of services I will need in my business. If you can get your business model down pact you should look into being contracted with insurance agencies. 

Best of fortune!

• Thanks 1