erfan

GPS/Compass

Hello, 
I have a question regarding to the position of GPS/Compass

I am only using External compass at the height of 15 cm from the pixhawk and I disabled the internal compass of pixhawk .
So I ONLY have one External Compass used for the system
is there any parameter to change regarding to the position of compass?
what If I  want to locate it somewhere else not in the center of gravity?

can any one help with that ?

@Spitfire76

41 minutes ago, erfan said:

can any one help with that ?

I would not worry too much about having the compass/GPS not being exactly at the COG. What's important is to have the compass away from any electrical interference and the GPS an unobstructed view of the sky which if you have the module mounted 15cm above the platform is just fine. Of course the IMU in the flight controller works better if its located as close to the COG as possible.

2 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

I would not worry too much about having the compass/GPS not being exactly at the COG. What's important is to have the compass away from any electrical interference and the GPS an unobstructed view of the sky which if you have the module mounted 15cm above the platform is just fine. Of course the IMU in the flight controller works better if its located as close to the COG as possible.

so my parameters are set as :
INS_POS1_X, INS_POS1_Y, INS_POS1_Z   all to zero 
and 
GPS_POS1_X, GPS_POS1_Y, GPS_POS1_Z all to zero 

so you mean there is not need to change the position according to the COG ?
if Yes any way to Find the exact COG ?

I have put my pixhawk exactly in the center of the frame above one damping plate and above to that my GPS with 15 cm height.
@Spitfire76

I am not sure about those parms as I have never had to change them. What is important though for the compass is the calibration.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-compass-calibration-in-mission-planner.html

I found this to be easier if you place the drone on an office chair that can be rotated. Place it in a box when its upside down. Its also better to do this with the radio telemetry and not using the USB cable.