Scott Anderson

Used Phantom 3 Std... What do you think?

I'm new to drones.  I am a commercial real estate appraiser and want to get one to use in my business for inspecting those hard to reach areas like roof tops, the other side of fields, etc.  A friend of mine has a Phantom 3 Standard, case, extra batteries, and extra props that he will sell me for $450.  He says he has $900 in it.  It's never been crashed and has been sitting idle for quite a while.

While I'm intrigued by a new Mavic or other option, this seems like a fairly good deal.  What do you think?

How good a deal depends on we’ll you trust your friend.  Spending $450 sounds like a fair price but were you going to spend $900 for a P3 standard in the first place?

it’s not a good thing when drones sit idle for a long period of time, especially DJI with their incessant firmware upgrades.  You can’t just jump to the latest version, you have to upgrade them in order.  That’s a real pain and there’s a good chance that it won’t work.  Also, it has “smart” batteries so it discharges to about 50% for storage.  That’s a good thing but depending on how long they’ve been sitting you might have to deep cycle them and they might not work.  I don’t believe DJI is supporting this model any longer so not sure the availability of new batteries. 

Price wise sounds like a good deal, time and functionality wise maybe not.  A Mavic2Pro would probably be such a better fit for what you want to do.  Especially the Zoom.  It’s so portable,  still supported, batteries still available, not as many upgrade headaches etc.. 

kind of depends on where you want to spend your time, becoming an expert at upgrading DJI or making money with your inspections.  

51 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

How good a deal depends on we’ll you trust your friend.  Spending $450 sounds like a fair price but were you going to spend $900 for a P3 standard in the first place?

it’s not a good thing when drones sit idle for a long period of time, especially DJI with their incessant firmware upgrades.  You can’t just jump to the latest version, you have to upgrade them in order.  That’s a real pain and there’s a good chance that it won’t work.  Also, it has “smart” batteries so it discharges to about 50% for storage.  That’s a good thing but depending on how long they’ve been sitting you might have to deep cycle them and they might not work.  I don’t believe DJI is supporting this model any longer so not sure the availability of new batteries. 

Price wise sounds like a good deal, time and functionality wise maybe not.  A Mavic2Pro would probably be such a better fit for what you want to do.  Especially the Zoom.  It’s so portable,  still supported, batteries still available, not as many upgrade headaches etc.. 

kind of depends on where you want to spend your time, becoming an expert at upgrading DJI or making money with your inspections.  

Thanks for your input.  That's good info to know.