Sign in to follow this  
Zacc Dukowitz

DJI Demos Easy to Use Drone-to-Phone Remote ID System in Montreal

Drone giant DJI recently demonstrated a direct drone-to-phone system that remotely identifies drones in flight. The demo took place at a park in Montreal, Canada during the third annual Drone Enable conference of the International Civil Aviation Organization.

DJI’s remote ID system is WiFi-based and provides a quick, easy way to monitor drones in the air from a smartphone.

The new system is the product of the broadcast methodology pioneered by DJI AeroScope, the professional remote ID system first introduced in 2017 for airports, prisons, stadiums and other critical locations protected by police departments and other government agencies.

Read today's article to learn more about DJI's remote ID system and the coming implementation of remote ID requirements in the U.S. and abroad.

While I think this is inevitable, there should be registration for people/entities downloading the id/tracking app.   

Is the pilot notified he is being tracked?  Or is this just data broadcast from the drone?   ( excuse me if that was presented in the article )   

I don't think I want anyone other than authorized id/tracking agencies knowing my ground location.  

I assume the device running the app could "detect/id" multiple drones in its range/airspace.  

I assume a business/agency could set up a tower to detect drone id signals entering an airspace.

I think this is a bad idea as explained now.  I think this will cause more conflicts between public and pilot.  I also think it is an infringement of my rights in the U.S.  I realize other countries don't worry too much about personal rights, but I think the U.S. does (not necessarily the politicians).  bf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Fearheller said:

infringement of my rights in the U.S.

That’s exactly right.  And it does nothing to make flying safer.

Flying won't get any safer and I'm at risk of attack by some crazed fool that thinks I'm spying on him.  You can go to YouTube and see many examples of this assault on drone pilots while they are flying.  These actions should be as criminal as if someone attacks the pilot of an airplane while he is flying.

bf