BrettRocketSci

Why maneuver warfare strategy and guerrilla marketing are perfect for UAV business

Those of you who want to start or maneuver into a profitable business niche with your UAV, I want to share and recommend some wisdom from military history and innovative marketing professionals.  Here is an excerpt from my latest blog article that I believe (and hope) will benefit you greatly:

These early days of the drone revolution are like the wild west of western expansion. Nobody yet has a clear advantage or dominance in the market. The innovators are racing ahead of the legal authorities.  But we all know that there’s a heck of a lot of gold in them thar hills! Or skies…

How can you find and claim a profitable niche with your drone?

How can you find customers who want a drone flight product at a profitable price for you?

How can you capture and dominate your market with a drone before someone else does?

Here is the good news. Other smart people have figured out what to do (and how to think) in situations like this. Achieving success in an environment of chaos, uncertainty, and rapid change is exactly what maneuver warfare theory has been developed to excel in. 

Imagine you are playing a game of chess with a grand master. Want to know how you can beat them quite easily and predictably? Change the rules so that you get to make TWO moves for every ONE of theirs.

If you focus on time (speed and agility) and direct engagement with your target customers more than your particular drone model or software version, you'll be moving in the right direction. Combine that with guerrilla marketing tactics and you'll do it very cost-effectively too. 

If you want to learn more, please read my full post, link below. Give yourself 10 minutes or so - it turned into a long article. If you want to dig into more details or want me to expand on anything, I would like to know so I can contribute more.  Upward and onward! 

Why maneuver warfare and guerrilla marketing are essential to succeed in the commercial drone business (plus 3 important books)

Edited by BrettRocketSci
  • Like 1

Great article. FYI, you wrote that you need a "private" pilot license in your list of bullet points, but that's not true. At the moment, if you're operating under a 333, you can use a light sport or recreational pilot license as well.

You also don't technically need liability insurance, although you'd be a dumb-dumb not to have it. It's required in Canada and the UK, but not in the U.S.

Also, I don't suspect the Section 333 exemption will be eliminated. The FAA still needs infrastructure in place for evaluating special requests on a case-by-case basis for higher-risk flight operations, things like flying at night, flying beyond VSOL, etc.

Big fan of Seth Godin and glad to see you promoting his books. Tribes was a game-changer for me when I first started getting into online marketing back in the day.