Charging Separately for Editing or All Inclusive?

CineMachine

Hi Gang.  Alan recently sent out a newsletter linking to a forum topic about what to charge for Real Estate Photography, and it got me wondering when you give a price to your clients, is that solely for drone and pilot time or does that usually include your editing time?  

I would imagine that would be a separate charge / service altogether but was curious to know what most of you are doing.  And if you charge separately for editing, do you base it off of how long the final product will be (15 min, 30 min 60 min)?  

This would pertain to any industry, not just real estate.   I'm particularly interested in what those shooting cinematography for commercials and films have to say.

Thanks in advance for your responses.  

• Like 1

I have seen a variety of pricing models put on here all have their ups and downs and some will work well for you while others may not. From my experiences working with the realtors they are usually looking for quick turn around time, cost effectiveness and simplicity on their side of things, meaning they are not interested in doing touch up themselves. I have found that offering a complete package for the realtor (factor in all time, flight, pre-planning, and post into your bundle price) tends to be the most attractive option to them. For other markets, commercials, ads, and cinematography which may take extensive hours of post production and editing you may want to consider having this listed as a separate fee when providing quotes for the work that you will be doing. I think having an hourly rate in mind will help you to really estimate the cost of a particular production, You could also go with a flat fee rate for a certain amount of time with add on for major extended amounts of work.

My pricing always includes post production.  My real estate customers are not interested in nor are they capable of editing.  Most of them don't even understand the process or appreciate that post production is a necessity.  Most of my business remains still images, so editing time is fairly predictable, but video is a different story, and accordingly I charge more for video.  I do still editing myself in photoshop, but I outsource video work to my nephew, who is a total wizard - just don't tell him I said so as he's likely to up his rates.

Most of my charges are based on on site time.  What I call a full shoot - not aerial - is up to 2 hours on site.  Additional hours are $75.  Limiting the time encourages my customers to have the property "photo ready" so that i don't have to wait for them to clean the kitchen or make the beds. Aerial stills are an hour on site.  My minimum for aerial or ground video is a half day - up to 4 hours on site.

• Like 1