Hello, I'm new to this community. I have been doing GIS work for the last 8 months or so using satellite imagery. I am excited to say we ordered our first UAV last week and will be producing our own raster data! I was just wondering if anybody is currently using the DJI Inspire Pro for mapping applications, if so I was just wondering what the quality of maps it was able to produce.

Thanks, Cheers!

Welcome @monsieurpetes,

Very cool that you are in the GIS field, may want to ask you some questions on ground control points and specifications for GIS level maps! I am going to cc @Lewis@IcarusAerials on this as he is an expert in aerial data collection and mapping services, i also believe that they operate an Inspire for that purpose. If memory serves i believe i recall detail levels of 1cm per pixel from some of the maps they have been doing. Keep Flying!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

@monsieurpetes You can definitely use the Inspire for mapping. You'll have to be a bit more careful with software choices (some cover only the Phantom), but we love using the inspire. 1 cm/pixel is easily doable. 

The quality of the maps (depending how how high/fast/when you fly) are great. Way better than your satellite images!

@lewis@icarusAerials Thank You yes I already taken your 101 class. Used that class a lot to review over key points. I Really liked it and waiting on more similar classes going forward.

Seen many pitches for the Inspire "which is a good bird"  during these conversations.  However starting out I had to watch my budget or my CFO "Wife" would of impeached me.

Going through this forum and classes really helped.

1 minute ago, olesailor said:

However starting out I had to watch my budget or my CFO "Wife" would of impeached me.

HAHA. My dog runs the finances in my family. He's not too fond of small, indoor models, so I've got to buy the bigger birds and fly higher so as not to annoy him. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, olesailor said:

@lewis@icarusAerials Thank You yes I already taken your 101 class. Used that class a lot to review over key points. I Really liked it and waiting on more similar classes going forward.

Seen many pitches for the Inspire "which is a good bird"  during these conversations.  However starting out I had to watch my budget or my CFO "Wife" would of impeached me.

Going through this forum and classes really helped.

Gotta work on your SUs (spousal units). Just gave my wife a diamond ring for our anniversary.

The SU account is way up there! :x getting ready for my next UAV.:D

PS- i do 99% of my geomapping with my P3P...

• Like 3