Sign in to follow this  
Lane Jones

New to everything

Hi, I am very interested in becoming a drone pilot. I wanted to ask if the if the Drone Pilot Ground School would be a good choice to go with to get the license. Also, I have been shopping around for some drones and I really want the DJI Mavic Pro. But the price is up their. I'm Willing to spend the money on one, but at the same time I'm just getting started. Does anyone have any other drone suggestions for a beginner?

Thanks 

Welcome to the forum.  

The Part107 knowledge test is reasonably easy, you can find a lot of study materials online for free.  Having said that, the FAA asks questions in a really funky way and the DronePilot Ground School does a good job of preparing you for how the exam is given.  It’s not all about the answers but how the question are asked.  

If you’ve never taken an FAA knowledge test this advice will sound a little wonky, but for those that have hopefully they can chime in and maybe explain it a bit better.  

If your considering a DJI you might want to consider a Mavic Mini, I have not flown one but I understand they fly like a MavicPro2.  The camera shoots up to 2.7K plenty good enough for online video so you can learn an “aerial” workflow for much less.  

• Like 1

Thank you, that is very helpful. I'm going to do the Drone Pilot Ground School. On the drone it self, I will get the Mavic Mini. I'm getting pretty excited about this, so my fist instinct is to go all out and buy the best I can buy. But I do need to start cheaper until I get good at flying. I'm going to check out Ebay as well to see if I can find a good deal on something.

Again, Thank you 

If you can be a little patient you could probably get a good used M2Pro, or better yet you can get a Skydio2 for $995 and you’ll be the envy of everyone in the forum..

don’t stress or overthink learning to fly a multirotor, they’re very easy to fly. 

• Like 1

I am defiantly overthinking a lot of this. But, I will find something pretty good to start with. I found a M2 Zoom for a good price. I just put a bid on it. Seller had good reviews. 

Anyways, thanks for the advice. 

Actually, what about the Parrot Anafi Drones? Are they any good. I found the Anafi Work on amazon for $950. It's supposed to also come with a free one year access to the Pix4D Model software. That would give me some more to explore and play with.