help - video editing - beginner

hello everyone - I am an newbie when it comes to downloading video...I'd like to learn to do some basic stuff (effects/time lapse/captions/music etc...) and compress the 4k video's as well so video can be played on older devices as well....I have no clue what software to use or where to start. I'm on Windows 10..I've searched and search and figured this would be a great place to start.  Thanks in advance for the input!! I know there are a lot of smart peeps here... :)

On 6/4/2016 at 5:54 PM, vortmaxx said:

hello everyone - I am an newbie when it comes to downloading video...I'd like to learn to do some basic stuff (effects/time lapse/captions/music etc...) and compress the 4k video's as well so video can be played on older devices as well....I have no clue what software to use or where to start. I'm on Windows 10..I've searched and search and figured this would be a great place to start.  Thanks in advance for the input!! I know there are a lot of smart peeps here... :)

Welcome! For Windows, the best software to get would be Adobe Premiere Pro CC. That can handle all of your editing, titles, music, and compressing (transcoding) needs. It isn't as easy to use as some other simpler software but to do basic tasks it really isn't that bad. It may seem daunting at first, but if you take it one step at a time, you can pretty easily put together a nice cut of footage with some music and export it to play on any device you want.

I am designing a course for UAV Coach, with my co-instructor Brendan, that covers pretty much everything you mentioned you want to learn. The course is based around Apple's Final Cut Pro X for Mac computers but a lot of the techniques editing wise are the same no matter what system you use. With that being said, if you get comfortable enough with how to use the interface of Premiere, and you are looking for more guidance in terms of actual editing technique, and access to Brendan and I to ask questions about editing and aerial cinematography, the course may be of interest to you. You can sign up for email updates on this page (http://learn.uavcoach.com/courses/aerial-cinematography) to stay up-to-date on when the course will launch soon.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Scott & Christian......that was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I'll look into getting that hopefully soon be posting some video's.  The class sounds very interesting and definitely something I will consider. Thanks again!