I'm a retired from the fire service and want to take up drones as a hobby. I'm a private pilot and think this would be a fun passion. Here is my issue: I would like to find a unit that flies for 10 minutes or more, has a live camera, GPS nice, has a return home function. I have never flown a drone before, but I could see myself helping real estate agents and taking some fun pictures. I don't want to get an expensive drone and loose or wreck it and I don't want dirt cheap. I would like to spend from $100 to $300 with a controller. I use a Samsung Android phone. A few choices to review would be appreciated. Thank you for your suggestions! 

Alan has posted a very good guide to cheap, or should I say less expensive, drones here: http://uavcoach.com/cheap-drones-for-beginners/.  If you intend to do any kind of commercial work (you mentioned real estate), you'll find you need better image quality than the UAVs on that list will give you.  I know it's about 2 Cs over your budget, but you may want to consider The DJI Phantom 3 Standard at around $500.  It'll do everything you want, and do it very well.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

Good suggestion, @Silk Purse. I'd say $500 is the bare minimum someone can spend right now to get one's foot in the door as a commercial drone pilot. Any of those cheaper models are fun to fly and are good for training / mastering multirotor flight proficiency, but the 720p camera and lack of a gimbal makes professional shots out of reach.

Who knows, the market is changing fast, though :)

Thank you everyone for your help. I have checked out the webpage and it is very helpful. I think I will buy a starter UAV and then move into a more expensive one as soon as I'm ready to get my training wheels off. Thanks again!

• Like 2