Sign in to follow this  
Isabella | UAV Coach

LAANC by the Numbers

One of the fastest ways to get permission to fly a drone in controlled airspace is to submit an authorization request through the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system. LAANC’s coverage has dramatically increased since the kick-off of its nationwide expansion in April 2018.

Let's look at some of the most recent numbers: 

• LAANC is available at approximately 400 air traffic facilities covering about 600 airports
  • There are 21 FAA-approved UAS Service Suppliers through which drone pilots can access LAANC
  • The FAA has reported granting more than 170,000 airspace authorizations through LAANC

Learn more about LAANC's most recent expansion here: LAANC by the Numbers: 21 Suppliers, 600 Airports, 170,000 Authorizations

Have you used LAANC in your drone operations? How was your experience? Share below in the comments. 

I'm in JFK Class B Airspace.  The FAA suspended the LAANC at JFK in August of 2019. The agency said continued beta testing of the LAANC revealed the need for further refinement of the system's use of airspace data in this area.

An enhancement identified by the FAA will improve the capability for processing airspace authorizations for UAS pilots flying near JFK

The FAA has not stated when/if the system will be reinstated. I have asked a few at the FAA but nobody seems to have an answer. So last night I put together a request for an airspace authorization and submitted it to the FAA via the DroneZone.

To my astonishment, my request was approved this afternoon! Good until 12/2021.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy.happydance.jpg.8fe40f0aa363ed9848abf34ec47f82f0.jpg