Flying on your own property in flight path

I'm new to drones and would like to purchase one. Maybe similar to DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I have been doing some research and it appears that there is some sort of software that will not allow the drone to take off if you are in a restricted space. I am in the flight path of the RDU airport in Raleigh NC. (Red zone on the DJI map) I'm assuming that I cannot fly the drone on my own property? Thanks in advance for any response. Sorry if this was asked before. I do not see any way to search the message.

Thanks for the reply. I know I have more reading to do, but I am in one of the 300 blocks. Does that mean possibly that I could fly as long as I stay below 300 feet? All I would really want to do is fly a max of about 100 feet anyway. The main reason for flight around my house is roof inspection. I sent an email to DJI support but have not received a response. Has anyone had issues communicating with them on a pre-purchase basis of conversation?

The ceiling heights in the grids are what will "typically" be approved.  You do have to get prior approval which will seem daunting initially, but is really not that bad once you get it down.

Spend some time learning here:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Go to DJI's GEO map and type in your address to see where you are.  Some areas require just a checkoff in the app while flying.  The more restrictive areas require a special unlock from DJI.  They are pretty good about supplying them if you provide them a copy of your approved waiver you receive from the FAA.

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...