New to drones, hooked already

I guess technically, quads in the toy range so far but I see this escalating quickly.  My son got an Odyssey XV-7 Microlite II for Christmas and I have flown it more than he has.  It's a hoot!  The whole family has been enjoying it.  I've got a birthday coming up and my wife has picked up what I think will end up being a Snaptain S5C.  I look forward to getting it and playing around with something a little bigger than the XV-7, although I have watched some of the videos and the controller seems a little sketchy.  I'm not sure that I like the idea of relying on the drone to auto take off and land.  I'd rather have control over those things.

Anyway, my understanding is these are both small and light and will avoid requiring registration with the FAA.  If I move up the food chain, what is that process like?

I live in Tennessee btw.

Thanks!

Hi @Trailbrake

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum! I agree with you, it is so easy to get hooked on drones. I remember the first time I saw a YouTube video that had drone footage in it, and I knew I had to have one.  

Those smaller drones can be a lot of fun to fly and a great way to learn how to fly a drone.   They may be hard to control sometimes, but that just adds to the fun and adds the the experience.  

In the U.S., any drone that weighs 0.55 lbs or above must be registered with the FAA. If you are looking to understand more about FAA regulations, feel free to check out our United States of America ‘Drone Laws’ page

I hope this helps! 

- Chase