Txpilot

First FAA pilot certificate action for UAS operations

http://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-faa-revoked-an-airplane-pilots-license-for-flying-a-drone

From what I gather of this on another Web site, the pilot had certificate action on him because he was stupid. He was operating for hire on somebody else's 333 exemption, did not get approval to fly where he was, did not file a Notam, and was operating in the NYC area under the class C veil. 

Thoughts? Personally, I'm happy this happened. It sends a message to do things the right way. Hopefully, it will cut down on some people who don't want to do things the right way. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Txpilot said:

http://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-faa-revoked-an-airplane-pilots-license-for-flying-a-drone

From what I gather of this on another Web site, the pilot had certificate action on him because he was stupid. He was operating for hire on somebody else's 333 exemption, did not get approval to fly where he was, did not file a Notam, and was operating in the NYC area under the class C veil. 

Thoughts? Personally, I'm happy this happened. It sends a message to do things the right way. Hopefully, it will cut down on some people who don't want to do things the right way. 

The UAV operator needs to be licensed not necessarily the exemption holder.  If for example, the exemption were issued to the company, the company can't hold a license, and that appears to be what happened here.  It's a pity this guy didn't fight the revocation. We would have found out a lot more about it, and I think there's a good chance the FAA would have folded.  In my opinion the FAA was sending a warning.  It was unfair, to say the least, to deny this guy a way of earning his living without  being more specific about what rule he was violating.  The NYPD probably backed down because they couldn't figure out what law he violated.  If he was, as he says 2 blocks away from Nathan's, he probably wasn't flying over the crowd and any risk to property or personal harm isn't really much greater than throwing a baseball.