Sign in to follow this  
cITrus guy

Blanket Airspace Authorization

To clearify, I mean if my marketing company wants to film aerial for a new marketing video of my property, can that marketing company fly there under my airspace authorization certificate?

That's a great question.

If your company has a Part107 and the waiver, I would think its OK for them to fly for you as long as your present at the location when they fly.  I would imagine that you'd still be responsible for the flight.  

Basically, I have no idea if its legal to subcontract the flying under your authorization.  The authorization is for your company and if someone subcontracts with you then they work for you. 

Sorry I couldn’t be of any help.  If it were me I’d want to be there for sure.  I’m not even sure where to look to find the answer?

good luck and let us know how it goes.

5 hours ago, cITrus guy said:

Thanks for the input. My thoughts were that I would need to be present as well. I'm just not sure.

The COAs do not actually say that you must be present, but it infers it.  Using one of mine as an example, the language says:

"Davd Pitman is the person designated as responsible for the overall safety of UAS operations under this COA.  During UAS operations for on-site communication/recall, the Responsible Person shall be continuously available for direct contact.."

You are definitely directly responsible for any operation under the COA, but you don't have to be the pilot.

Then

"The Responsible Person listed on this COA must maintain a current list of pilots by name and the remote pilot certificate number(s) associated with the COA holder’s operation."

So we know that the holder of the COA does not necessarily need to be the PIC, but must be available onsite for contact by ATC if needed.

Edited by Dave Pitman

Thanks for all of your help guys. I think that I would prefer to be on site anyways. Since I hold the COA, it could get sketchy if something were to happen.

Are you not part 107 certified?  Why wouldn't you fly the project yourself if you are responsible and going to be there anyway?  Not that having someone with more experience is wrong,  I'm just curious.