Regular Drone Deliveries Underway in Christiansburg, VA with Wing Aviation

Wondering if drone deliveries will ever become a reality in the U.S.?

Wonder no more—drone deliveries are now an everyday occurrence for the residents of Christiansburg, VA, where Alphabet Inc.’s Wing Aviation has a program fully up and running.

wing-va-ipp.jpg

Items being delivered include gifts, snacks, over-the-counter healthcare products, and customized packages.

Read today's article to learn more about Wing's fully operational drone delivery program in Christiansburg, including details on how Wing got FAA approval to launch a drone delivery program in the first place.

This sounds great for customer service, but how is this going to help a one man operation? All I see is more restrictions and government fees to pay. I don’t make squat now. I see it as big business and big government overreach making it more difficult for someone to break into this field.

• Like 1

And people wonder where dumb regulation take form, such as the new remote ID regulations? In my opinion (as much as it’s worth) there are lobbying going on from big buck businesses (such as amazon) to be able to break every rule imposed on those that want to make a few extra sheckles and have to get things like a 107 certification. Large companies will have ability to fly over crowds, and fly at night, all over the farce of calling it “necessary business practices”. Business practices like this are nothing more than weeding out those that won’t be able to afford, in lieu of the first death from a drone falling out of the sky, which I will guarantee will come from these non restrictive drone delivery services. JMO.

"drone deliveries are now an everyday occurrence for the residents of Christiansburg, VA, where Alphabet Inc.’s Wing Aviation has a program fully up and running."

That's totally a bunch of garbage.  For one thing, the 'program' has mostly been a bunch of volunteer grad students under leadership (or "Wing") of Mark Blanks with the Virginia Tech Governed Mid Atlantic Aviation Partnership.  I've kept a close eye on Wing since all this hype nonsense started, and I have a friend who was super interested in working for them.  What a letdown the whole thing has been.  There is hardly ever any activity over at 106 Welcome Drive in Christiansburg, no flying drones, no deliveries, no anything... not even on a fair weather Saturday (when presumably people would be buying things).

Quite Frankly , it frustrates the.... you know what out of me... that all these drone publications, Vlogs, etc jump on the 'ooh and ahhh' bandwagon without actually checking the facts on whether or not anything is actually going on. 

I hear you!  

There’s so much hype and miss information online. 

1 hour ago, Dronewatcher said:

without actually checking the facts on whether or not anything is actually going on. 

But what are the facts?  What’s IS going ?  What is truth online?   Not trying to get “deep.” In a rush to publish people tend to rely on others to validate the information being provided.  Big mistake!  At the risk of sounding conspiratorial especially when it comes to highlighting anything the FAA is doing.  

Its strange being on the recieving end of this sort of notoriety.  We fly a lot for the Navy and increasingly for the Army.  When I tried to warn people about how the impending federal ban on DJI might affect future business opportunities, I was vilified.  But as the ban has taken hold and we’re still flying, the military has written quite a few press releases about our work.  Now I get calls and people complimenting us on work that they have only recently heard about but we did a year ago.  

At first I thought it was really strange, but now I just accept it for what it is, people who think they know something trying to be supportive.  The internet not only distorts the truth, it changes it.  What might be an outright lie today will become truth in the future.  

Unfortunatley, the Internet has become a place where everyone knows how to do everything, but where very few have actually done anything.  

• Like 1