Midwest Bebop

Drone Ban in Nebraska State Parks (legal?)

Hey all, So I've put the time in to research through all the Nebraska State Park Legislation & Regulations and also Nebraska Legislations in general. None of them list anything in regards to drones.

I went to a state park a few weeks ago, and was immediately confronted my multiple Park Rangers as soon as i took off telling me that Drone's are illegal in all state parks. To avoid conflict i landed and left. Over the past week I have been in contact with the parks and rec department asking for the laws/regulation/etc... that gives them this authority. It started with people telling me "because we say so" finally i got someone who provided me this link as their justification to ban drones: http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2018/03/drone-operators-advised-to-know-and-abide-by-wildlife-park-rules/

Its a new article. not a law, not a regulation, nothing.... I have emailed them back asking for an actual law/regulation/etc... so far with no response.

I guess i'm just asking the question, can they just ban drones without any legal backing???

18 hours ago, Midwest Bebop said:

I guess i'm just asking the question, can they just ban drones without any legal backing???

No. But they can bully you.

I did not find any law (or pending bill) searching Nebraska state law.  https://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/laws.php

Try contacting the state attorney general's office rather that the locals.  You are more likely to get actual answers to state law questions rather than knee-jerk reactions.

Ok, so they responded again... this is what they are using to justify banning drones... this is a joke...

Nebraska Administrative Code
Title 163 – Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
Chapter 5 – State Parks Regulations
Part 5 001.02, 

001-02A  “The operation or use of aircraft on lands or waters other than at landing areas designated in special regulation is prohibited…”

This and other regulations can be found on our website at this location: https://www.nebraska.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/Game_and_Parks_Commission/Title-163/Chapter-5.pdf

2 hours ago, Midwest Bebop said:

“The operation or use of aircraft on lands or waters other than at landing areas designated in special regulation is prohibited…”

That is the same language used to prohibit use in Washington state parks, where I live.  You can legally fly over the park but not operate, take off or land, from the park.  Same for National parks.  They don'd like you to fly over either in most cases, but it is not covered by the statute.

Edited by Dave Pitman