Rj Ruppert

Legality with someone taking pictures of my property

Hey guys!

My name is Rj, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. This is my first post on the forum and im super excited to be on here because I personally just bought a DJI Mavic Pro 2 for my first drone. \

Unfortunately, That's not what brings me here today. My family is selling a rather large plot of land in a place called Calico Basin, In Las Vegas.

We've been going back and forth with a potential buyer and today my mom just received this message.

From the buyer last night: "My concern is this. I had a soil company fly a drone with Sonar-red read on the land mass. It was flown from the public street over the property, it shoots sonar thru the earth and works like a ultra sound. There is lots of newer fill on the property but there corrosion/ drainage issues on west side of property that runs all the way down to the street. They are 100 percent sure that construction material was buried along the property. Lots of it. It will need to be dug out and sifted and hauled off. Non of this is a deal breaker but I'm trying to determine a best guest estimate for this task. I'm waiting on estimates."

This came as a huge shocker to us, and it sounds like hes trying to get us to lower the price.

My first question, DOES THIS TECHNOLOGY EVEN EXIST!? I have a buddy who flies for the United States Air Force and hes never even heard of such things.

My second question, Is this even legal? I understand that the airspace above our property does not belong to us. But taking readings/pictures without our knowledge or consent? that just sounds wrong.\

If someone has posted about this topic already, Im sorry. I searched and couldnt find anything similar.

Thank you so much for your time!

Simply put, yes and yes with the normal FAA limitations and possibly local restrictions. GPR on a drone is real and not complex, and flying from the public access with a licensed pilot should be no problem.

As stated yes it is usually legal in most states as long as not intending to intrude on privacy of people, and yes they can detect things under the surface, but having a background in Real Estate, never take anyone’s word for it. Ask to see the results of the report, if they do produce a report then politely reply that you will have your analysis performed and go from there. Stuff buried under the ground is not unusual, and unless it is an EPA violation can usually stay there (ie underground storage containers are examples of things that have to be removed). If removal is required for the sale to happen, find your own company and estimates.

I am a retired Photo Annalist (Photo Interpreter). It should be noted for this discussion, government agencies are constantly using aerial imagery for all sorts of things from spy imagery, code enforcement, property appraisal, mapping etc....... You should be aware as stated, you do not own the airspace above your property so anyone can fly over and take pictures. What the pictures are used for can come into question such as invasion of privacy such as trying to sell pictures taken over a nudist facility. Check the laws!