Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the site so just saying hello. I am a huge RC helicopter enthusiasts and looking at getting into sUAS as well. I'm a very techy person that loves to build computers and robotics type stuff. My wife is a full time photographer running her own buisness and we are interested in adding aerial photography to her services expecially with title part 107 right around the corner. Any helpfully information or suggestions are greatly welcomed :)

Adding aerial work to an existing photography business lowers a lot of hurdles.  You've got an existing client base, and, depending on the kind of photography your wife is doing, it gives you a leg up in establishing a portfolio.  Both of those are key elements in starting or expanding the business.  Good luck!

9 hours ago, AL said:

Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the site so just saying hello. I am a huge RC helicopter enthusiasts and looking at getting into sUAS as well. I'm a very techy person that loves to build computers and robotics type stuff. My wife is a full time photographer running her own buisness and we are interested in adding aerial photography to her services expecially with title part 107 right around the corner. Any helpfully information or suggestions are greatly welcomed :)

Hello,

Welcome to the community! Can you fly Drones? If not i would recommend you to enroll the UAV Coach course, from this website ! Its really good to learn things that will help us to avoid crashing it at the beginning and things that will make us a stronger UAV pilot.

As you are intending to get into aerial photography, why not doing both, photography and videography? I would recommend you to purchase the DJI Phantom 3 professional with a 4k camera. Its the one i use in my professional drone business, its a great UAV to fly. Its Very stable in the air and has lods of great features. I`ve never regretted it!

As you might know, there are several UAV models in the market for you to choose from. Even custom build ones...

Edited by Joshua Carillo
  • Like 1
On 6/16/2016 at 11:21 AM, Silk Purse said:

Adding aerial work to an existing photography business lowers a lot of hurdles.  You've got an existing client base, and, depending on the kind of photography your wife is doing, it gives you a leg up in establishing a portfolio.  Both of those are key elements in starting or expanding the business.

Amen, @Silk Purse.

Welcome, @AL! Happy to help if you have specific questions along the way.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies and comments! I'm really looking forward to being a drone operator for my wife's photography buisness and the great news today from the FAA has got me even more excited! I am well skilled in flying RC helicopters and have a cheep drone I bought from Walmart to practice with. My wife and I are going to use some of her buisness money to purchase a DJI Phantom 4 here soon so I can get more practice in while I work on getting my drone operator certificate required for commercial drone use.

• Like 1