I am a private pilot with moderate experience with medium sized manually piloted drones.

For a number of years I have trying to figure out what drone to purchase that will give, shall we say, prosumer quality.  My wife and I want to use it when we travel.

Of course, for convenience, the mavic comes to mind...but rolling shutter and overall video quality is not ideal.  Yes, there is the Inspire 2.... however, I don't think I can justify the expense since I am not a professional .

Then there is the Phantom 4 Professional +.  It is appealing but I have heard that there are problems with the display of the controller.  In addition, DJI is by report, not exactly consumer friendly.

(Parenthetically, it is a real shame, that there are no American companies making drones of equal capability but of better quality, with better support than DJI.)

So, I would like your thoughts.

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I was looking at your comment and I have done a lot of research trying to find the right drone.  And I still am but that doesn't mean I dont know a thing or two.  I see that you said that it will be for traveling purposes but didn't think the Mavic 2 Pro will do the job.  But I can assure you it will do just fine.  Then you said the Inspire 2. Sure it is one the best drones probably the best drone DJI ever made but yes price is a factor but also size and set up is a nightmare according to some people.  16.81 inches (42.7 cm). Height – 12.48 inches (31.7 cm). Width – 16.73 inches (42.5 cm), without propellers.  That's basically a foot all sides and I dont know if you want to carry around that big of a drone.  Now for the Phantom series I do have to admit I don't really know a lot about this series but that it does stand pretty high in one of the best drones.  Now there is the new Autel Evo 2 having a 6k or 8k camera and a battery life longer than the Mavic 2 Pro.  Just a little bit bigger.  But also coming from a background that's not that hopeful but apperently it's holding up and showing some people.  Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the advice.  The drone will actually be used mostly at home and also for domestic and occasional international travel.....although our recent plans for domestic travel are on hold.

I think the older Phantoms were very reliable but I heard about problems with the display of the Phantom 4 +.

Hi @Andrew 124C41,

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum! I own a Phantom 4 Pro + Obsidian and have for the last couple of years. It has been a great drone and I would highly recommend it. It is a little larger than the Mavic series, but it handles heavy winds quite well. I have always liked the design of the Phantom, that is not to say that the Mavic series is not any good. The Mavic series is great as well, the Inspire is incredible, but I would not recommend it for recreational use due to its high cost and size.

I have never had an issue with the pro display and it is really nice because you do not have to worry about keeping your phone charged and having extra cables. However, you can order the Phantom 4 Pro with just the normal remote controller and use your phone and it is also cheaper. 

Another option that is an American made drone is the Skydio 2. It features advanced flight features  and in many cases can fly on its own without a lot of effort on the pilots end. It does record in a lower resolution than the newer Mavic and Phantom drones, but I think it is still worth the time to check it out. 

https://www.skydio.com

Feel free to check out some of the pictures I have taken with my Phantom over in our 'Aerial Photography' thread: 

https://community.uavcoach.com/topic/7086-the-scripps-mansion/

https://community.uavcoach.com/topic/6720-spring-to-summer/

https://community.uavcoach.com/topic/6647-pettibone-creek-powerhouse/

https://community.uavcoach.com/topic/5752-some-of-my-favorite-photographs/

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

- Chase 

Chase, thanks for the info.  What do you think of the evo....

/auteldrones.com/pages/evo2

I never liked the idea of using a smartphone which is why I mentioned the display.  Apparently, the Phantom 4 Plus is back again and for sale on the DJI site....at least when I looked a few weeks ago