Ramond

Anybody have experience with a drone photography business?

Hello everyone,,

I was thinking about different side businesses I can try while working full time, and I realized something - I have a nice drone. I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with doing professional drone photography and videography.

It seems like there are a lot of markets for this. From real estate agents, to events, to inspections and engineering. I'm guessing that there would be some editing involved, depending on the situation. But that's something I can learn.

From what I can gather, there are a couple of services in my area that do this. But I feel like the market still has a lot of growth to do.

Thoughts???

Ramond,

I began just as you are now about three years ago with the expectation of enjoying aerial photography in retirement.  The business has taken off...pun intended.

A lot of marketing is necessary, social media sites, a good photo website and a good business plan.

You can check out the basics of how I set the business up at: 

North Shore Drone Services

I hope that helps.

Kind rregards,

Jay

Edited by Jay Burnham

Hello Raymond:

I have a small mechanical engineering firm and started added drone services to my scope of services about a year ago.    It started small by just taking some aerial images of jobsites and roof equipment while doing site reviews for my own use.    As I became more comfortable and proficient with the drones (Phantom 4 Pro and Matrice 210)  and software (I use SkyeBrowse for quick model analysis and accurate dimension gathering and Pix4D Mapping) the other project consultants (architects, structural engineers, electrical engineers and civil engineers) started requested copies of my images and data.   The clients are also impressed as it seems to add some additional credibility to my engineering services since most mechanical engineers are not using this technology in my area . . . yet.

Now, this "side-service" to my business is starting to gain some momentum as my clients and other consultants are starting to request this service on other projects and provide new referrals.   It's still a work in progress . . . but its a nice addition to my services and has not requiring a lot of active advertising.    However, with a bit more time and experience I will start to  actively advertise this portion of my business.

BTW - check out Jay's website . . . he's got a great setup with lots of good images and videos!

I've attached one of the images from a project file to show how I use this in my business.Falafel Corner Tenant Improvement_Roof Layout.pdf

Cheers!

Mike

Falafel Corner Tenant Improvement_Roof Layout_1.jpg

Edited by Michael P. McDermott
Added Image

On 3/24/2020 at 9:31 PM, Ramond said:

Hello everyone,,

I was thinking about different side businesses I can try while working full time, and I realized something - I have a nice drone. I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with doing professional drone photography and videography https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.cool/ .

It seems like there are a lot of markets for this. From real estate agents, to events, to inspections and engineering. I'm guessing that there would be some editing involved, depending on the situation. But that's something I can learn.

From what I can gather, there are a couple of services in my area that do this. But I feel like the market still has a lot of growth to do.

Thoughts???

I actually thought about this before, after going to an electrical convention and talking with some folks at an IR camera company.

How does business development work with something like this? Am I targeting residents, contractors, building managers?

You may want to start with roofing contractors and general contractors to assist in the roof area take-offs for materials.   There is also drone software specifically design for roof inspections and material take-offs.    Building/property managers may also be a good client base.

If you have access to a thermal camera with your drone, there are additional opportunities for roof inspections and identifying "areas of investigation" (legal term for anomalies denoted by temperature differences identified by a thermal camera).    This is also useful for solar PV inspections, electrical transformers and distribution lines along with plant piping inspections.

The best advice I've been given was to focus on one industry to build your business (i.e. real estate, landscape & wedding photography, building inspections, agriculture, etc.) versus trying to be "all things to all industries".    Good to have knowledge and experience in all facets . . . but be an "expert" at one.

Good luck!