Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Orangutan39 said:

This is great news!! Did anyone see anything in there about any NOTAM requirement for commercial ops? I haven't had time yet to read thru the entire 624 page FAA document yet. 

Thanks, 

Chris 

From page 349 and 350 of Part 107

 

" The FAA also declines to impose additional NOTAM requirements on small UAS operations. The NOTAM system is used to alert pilots of conditions or situations in the NAS that could present a hazard to aircraft. Historically, the FAA has used a NOTAM 121 DOD Policy Board on Federal Aviation comment at 5. 122 FAA Order 7400.2. 350 requirement in the COAs it issued for UAS operations. This was appropriate because small UAS operations were outside the regulatory structure that was then in place, and, while not inherently hazardous, small UAS flights required exemption or waiver from a number of FAA regulations. Because these operations deviated from existing FAA regulations, a NOTAM was an acceptable means to notify pilots of the activity. However, with part 107, the FAA is bringing a subset of UAS operations within the FAA regulatory structure. Civil, public, and military pilots are expected to be familiar with regulations affecting their flight, including the possibility of encountering UAS activity below 400 feet. Therefore, requiring a NOTAM would not be appropriate."

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you are:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36584515

 

 

I live in Australia and the CASA rules and regulations are very similar to these. In addition, hobby craft must not have a MTOW of more than two kilograms (2.2 lb), must take off and land at more that 30 metres (100 feet) from people and animals, at more than 100 metres (330 feet) from buildings and can not be flown within 5.5 kilometers (3.42 miles) of radius from any airport, airfield or air facility (search and rescue, fire brigade, air ambulance etc.)

 

Cheers from Bruno

Edited by Bruno
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, olesailor said:

Outstanding

For us non-licensed pilots will this course help with preparing for the aeronautical knowledge test?

Or is it fraction of what  aeronautical knowledge test will be?

I took the course yesterday as well.  In the introduction it tells you that it can be used by individuals to help prep for the aeronautical knowledge test but that it is only a part of what will be included in that test.  It does give you other areas to study as well as links to resources for those subjects.  Also gives you some sample questions of what to expect on the aeronautical knowledge exam at the end.

Edited by wnc_walker
Added comment
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, olesailor said:

Great

It is always good to gather more knowledge.

I am looking forward to the the Drone Pilot Ground School.

 

Yes, I'm not sure which route I'm going to take, either self-study or the Drone Pilot Ground School.  I can say that there is a lot of material out there to cover those additional subjects listed by the FAA which to me means a lot of self study.  I would think that the course on here would narrow things down a bit and save some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 100% agreed.

Being in IT I can relate. If you had someone that was never involved in the field and hand them a library of books and tell them learn to code in SQL and pass the Oracle DBA exam you can imagine the response.

Not saying it cannot be done but the time it would take to do it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM, hav3atps said:

So, if I'm already a rated pilot does this mean I just submit proof of my 61 cert with the app and I'm blessed?

100mph, Wow..

If you're already a pilot, you can go to http://faasafety.gov to take a UAS course, and then come late August, when the rule is implemented, you'll be able to apply for Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate (a UAS rating on your existing license) without having to take the Aeronautical Knowledge Test.

You and P3P Flyer like this  Unlike this

So, If I take and pass the UAS test next week, I still have to wait Until Aug to submit the proof already being a rated pilot or I am misunderstanding that? And if that is correct, is it's still a wait until August to be able to legally do commercial work (not that I've even flown a drone yet ; ) but I'm very close. 

And the best suggestions to study for this test? i.e. online study guides etc? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, olesailor said:

Outstanding

For us non-licensed pilots will this course help with preparing for the aeronautical knowledge test?

Or is it fraction of what  aeronautical knowledge test will be?

I expect there will be considerably more material in the FAA test, as this course is for those who already hold an aeronautical rating. If I were you I'd just wait until the FAA issues a study guide. There are study guides for all FAA written exams and I expect this will be no different. No one except the feds know what is going to be on the test. In the meantime you can start brushing up on this, the Pilot Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, free here.

Edited by Uaviator53
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wjules said:

If you're already a pilot, you can go to http://faasafety.gov to take a UAS course, and then come late August, when the rule is implemented, you'll be able to apply for Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate (a UAS rating on your existing license) without having to take the Aeronautical Knowledge Test.

You and P3P Flyer like this  Unlike this
  •  

So, If I take and pass the UAS test next week, I still have to wait Until Aug to submit the proof already being a rated pilot or I am misunderstanding that? And if that is correct, is it's still a wait until August to be able to legally do commercial work (not that I've even flown a drone yet ; ) but I'm very close. 

And the best suggestions to study for this test? i.e. online study guides etc? 

Hi wjules,

As a rated pilot, you can go to the FAA FAAST site and  the study material needed to pass the exam is included along with the actual test. Very simple and most of the numbers are the same as a typical 61 certification. I was able complete everything in 45 minutes and I'm not a genius by any definition of the word..

Best..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all:

As an ATP rated pilot, I also just completed the online FAA course for Part 61 certificate holders. I tried to follow through with the process of applying for the sUAS pilot (certificate) and rating on IACRA but it seems that it hasn't been updated to include the rating yet. I imagine in the next few weeks if not August will be the date when the certificate becomes available. Anyone else try?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man! What an exciting 72 hours it's been. I'll do my best to respond to questions / comments below. Really appreciate everyone's engagement. This thread has become a valuable resource for everyone in and outside of the UAV Coach community.

On 6/22/2016 at 8:47 AM, Tony Rushing said:

What will be the cost fir the school?

Hey Tony, it'll cost $299, but we'll be running a launch promotion for our first batch of students. If you haven't joined our pre-enrollment notification email list already, click on "Enroll in Training" on this page.

4 hours ago, olesailor said:

Outstanding

For us non-licensed pilots will this course help with preparing for the aeronautical knowledge test?

Or is it fraction of what  aeronautical knowledge test will be?

Love this question! I think a ton of you chimed in already and provided some great responses. Thanks @Uaviator53, @scottyrunyan, @wnc_walker, @hav3atps, and others.

I wrote up some thoughts here about the FAA's free course, which I also just took and passed this morning. It's a GREAT introduction if you're starting from scratch, but the key thing to remember is that it covers some, but not ALL of the concepts you'll need to gain mastery in under Part 107 (and just generally knowing what it takes to be a safe, strong, confident, and professional pilot).

While I'm proud of the curriculum we're building at Drone Pilot Ground School, I recognize that it's not a good fit for everyone! Plenty of people in this forum are too smart for school and will get by just fine self-studying :)

2 hours ago, wjules said:

So, If I take and pass the UAS test next week, I still have to wait Until Aug to submit the proof already being a rated pilot or I am misunderstanding that? And if that is correct, is it's still a wait until August to be able to legally do commercial work (not that I've even flown a drone yet ; ) but I'm very close.

...and

47 minutes ago, vegair1 said:

Hello all:

As an ATP rated pilot, I also just completed the online FAA course for Part 61 certificate holders. I tried to follow through with the process of applying for the sUAS pilot (certificate) and rating on IACRA but it seems that it hasn't been updated to include the rating yet. I imagine in the next few weeks if not August will be the date when the certificate becomes available. Anyone else try?

 

Yes, even if you're already a licensed pilot under Part 61 (and have done a flight review in the last 24 months), AND you've taken the FAA's free online course, you have to wait until August to officially apply for the Remote Pilot Certificate. I keep reading August 20th everywhere, but that can't be right. On the FAA's call Tuesday, they said it would take 5-7 days for Part 107 to go through the necessary hurdles before the 60-day implementation window starts. I'm telling people "late August." Please let me know if you hear something directly from the FAA that clarifies.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone has touched on this yet but there is another stand still. After taking the initial test on FAAsafety.gov, which was extremely easy, and printing out your certificate you will need to go onto IACRA. There you'll need the FAA Form 8710-13 which is currently unavailable for the Remote Pilot until August. At least that's what the FAA guy said when I called.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris G said:

Not sure if anyone has touched on this yet but there is another stand still. After taking the initial test on FAAsafety.gov, which was extremely easy, and printing out your certificate you will need to go onto IACRA. There you'll need the FAA Form 8710-13 which is currently unavailable for the Remote Pilot until August. At least that's what the FAA guy said when I called.

That's correct. Chris...do you already have a Part 61 pilot license? If so, here are the specific steps you'll be following once Part 107 rolls out in late August:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/#existing

If you do NOT have an existing pilot license, you'll still need to take the Aeronautical Knowledge Exam.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.