So, i am working on getting my drone business off the ground (wink, wink). I would like to specialize in aerial surveys, and inspections. My question is, how do i get my finger on the pulse of my city to see how much demand there is out there. I would love to grow this business to have multiple pilots running multiple drones each day to collect data, eventually. I am not sure where to start learning about the opportunities in my market and getting my foot in the door. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey there @wbrowning71.

Pick up the phone and knock on some doors.

The more conversations you can have with people, the more you'll learn. In a local market, you need to start networking ASAP, either through your own family/friends, through industry organizations, through Internet research and cold emails / LinkedIn requests. Try everything. Just be genuine and consultative / helpful and have a good grasp on what questions you should be asking. You're not selling. You're gathering information about your market. You're asking folks if they're familiar with sUAS. You're asking them about the big pains in their job, and exploring whether or not sUAS photos/videos/data would offer a better solution (higher quality, faster, cheaper, more effective, safer, etc.)

Hope this helps get the brain juices going.

• Like 2

@Alan Perlman, thanks for the reply. I love the idea of having a consultant approach. I am a salesman by trade so naturally my mind went right to selling people on this idea. I am very excited to get this going, I see huge opportunity here (Austin, TX) for this and want to make sure the market is ready for it.

• Like 1

@wbrowning71 I've found we've need to educate a lot of people on what is possible for us to do, and learn to speak their language. For us, there are a lot of old guys ini the construction industry sitting in their trailers who are happy with the way they've done it for the last 30 years. 

It is also easy to forget what is "common knowledge" for people who visit drone forums is probably 3 steps above what the average person knows. 

• Like 2