Recommended Posts

Passed the online exam!!!  Getting my BFR done and I'll be ready to go.  Little advice for those drone pilots out there.  I don't think this exam is gonna be as easy as some of the authors of the articles I've been reading think. Study your airspace,weather, and aeronautical charts. Can't wait to hear what it's like. Good luck! 

image.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm right there with you. Not a bad first crack at it. Pretty easy to navigate through, took about 2 hours to finish and the exam was 35 questions long. I recently spoke with the Nashville FSDO and was informed that they're not real sure if the license will be separate or just a type rating added to existing certificate. I did a little more investigating and apparently they (FAA) want to make it an entirely separate sUAS rating on a Remote Pilot's Certificate. Also do not try to register on the IACRA site to be able to get the certificate, it's not ready for us quite yet. Peace and happy flying!!

 

UAS Cert.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I passed mine today as well.  I'm wondering if the liscense/rating will even be ready until August 29th since its not available on IACRA until then.  Or can we just march down to the local FSDO and fill out an 8710, show proof of the 61.56 and get the rating?  Anyone have an idea? Did we take the exams too early??

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconDriver50 said:

I passed mine today as well.  I'm wondering if the liscense/rating will even be ready until August 29th since its not available on IACRA until then.  Or can we just march down to the local FSDO and fill out an 8710, show proof of the 61.56 and get the rating?  Anyone have an idea? Did we take the exams too early??

Hey @FalconDriver50, if you already hold a manned aircraft license under Part 61, then you won't need to take the Aeronautical Knowledge Test on August 29th. But you WILL need to wait like everyone else until 8/29 to fill out your online application for the Remote Pilot Certificate. Good news is that you'll still get yours before everyone else :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 29, 2016 at 7:58 AM, flyingmonkey said:

I'm right there with you. Not a bad first crack at it. Pretty easy to navigate through, took about 2 hours to finish and the exam was 35 questions long. I recently spoke with the Nashville FSDO and was informed that they're not real sure if the license will be separate or just a type rating added to existing certificate. I did a little more investigating and apparently they (FAA) want to make it an entirely separate sUAS rating on a Remote Pilot's Certificate. Also do not try to register on the IACRA site to be able to get the certificate, it's not ready for us quite yet. Peace and happy flying!!

 

UAS Cert.jpg

Congratulations!!! Will be taking mines today.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2016 at 11:17 PM, mconcialdi said:

Passed the online exam!!!  Getting my BFR done and I'll be ready to go.  Little advice for those drone pilots out there.  I don't think this exam is gonna be as easy as some of the authors of the articles I've been reading think. Study your airspace,weather, and aeronautical charts. Can't wait to hear what it's like. Good luck! 

image.jpeg

Congratulations! Taking mine today or tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up! Are you doing self studies from the FAA site?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2016 at 2:26 PM, Tony Rushing said:

Congratulations! Taking mine today or tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up! Are you doing self studies from the FAA site?

I'm sure the website has some good self studies...don't know personally.  Just went off of my aeronautical knowledge:/   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hate to rain on these pilot's parades, but like all new and exciting businesses, most will fail within a year of getting off the ground. And, here's another thought to consider: this is an old Southern expression that people in the South have said before. "Too much sugar for a dime."

If you Midwestern and up-north pilots don't know its meaning, I'll translate this aphorism. Too many commecial drone pilots and their businesses will flood the market and this new "pie" only has so many pieces to go around. 

And, the first time somebody's fancy drone taking aerial video over some client's business falls out of the sky and crashes onto that house or business and does damage or strikes someone by accident, I think that drone insurance "ain't gonna do 'squat.'"

Now, if drone pilots wish to call me pessimistic and a "wet blanket" or "pissing on their parade," that is their prerogative. Just remember that if anything can go wrong, it will. 

Jim, New Pilot

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow......were you forced here at gun point? Are you paying to be here? Alan was nice enough to form this forum for those of us interested in learning. Ungratefulness doesn't serve you well, my friend. There are other forums and we all probably belong to them. I've found UAVCoach to be the least judgmental, friendliest of all. There are no guarantees anyone is going to give you the answer you are looking for since you are not paying anything. If you want guarantees buy a refrigerator, if you are looking for love get a dog. 

I've learned plenty here and we owe it to Alan and UAVCOACH. Bye.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

To uaviator53,

Ungrateful, no. At gunpoint, no. (What a lame metaphor. You do know what a metaphor is, don't you? Somewhere in your high school English classes, your teacher at that time, did teach your class what a metaphor was? Buy a refrigerator? Buy a dog? Why, are you a salesman? And this is all you came to the game with? Pitiful and pathetic. And chew on this: Opinions are like DonaldTwump

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @New Pilot sorry to read about your issues, it tells me that you are NEW at flying and our jealous of those of us that were also new but have practiced a lot to overcome that. You mentioned that most business fail in the first year, it is usually in the first 1 to 3 years as research has shown. And for those that succeed have worked very very hard at it, and yes there are those that do work hard at it and the business still fails for other reasons. You say * I think that drone insurance "ain't gonna do 'squat.'" then if you have any home or auto insurance I guess it won't do anything for you as well, according to you.

As for your new businesses failing concept, I have started and run 7 successful business over the past 30 plus years and have sold all but two, and ALL of them are still operating today. You may think that is a pat on the back, NO that is HARD WORK and not quitting when a similar business opens up close by, like when you see 4 burger joints on the same corner, Home Depot next to Lowe's etc. Completion is good it builds growth and it of course weeds out the lazy not so good types of business owners.

Yes there will be a lot of people going out there to start trying to make money flying, my hat is off to them all for at least trying instead of years down the road saying what if.

And there will be many more people blaming others for their lack of success, remember it so much easier to blame others for are failing and not ourselves............................

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really?

 Your "lecture" is so full of crap that my email is leaking. Your reaction is so precious that it brings tears to my eyes. I love yanking your "chain." And all caps and bold face just tell me you are in such a defense mode. This is so delicious! And making money. One massive lawsuit brought against a drone business will stick like glue on the entire drone industry. It might be you. Wouldn't that be poetic justice for one who rides ass backwards on his high horse? And as for my car or house insurance, neither of them flies as a drone does. So, your logic is flawed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, particularly when I've gotten to know them a bit over the last few months, so @New Pilot I'll just trust you're having a bad day and using this forum as some kind of outlet. That's OK. That's what forums are for sometimes.

All I ask is that we tone down the hyperbole / politics (unless Trump has an sUAS policy I haven't heard about :)), keep things civil and educational (that goes for everyone!), and hopefully we can continue to keep this place a warm, inviting, consultative resource for pilots both new and experienced.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said Alan, debating, questioning and conversations are of course one of the many ways we learn. @New Pilot my comments were in no way to be thought of as a lecture, although some may think of it as such. They were my thoughts and mine alone as were yours in your post. The bold and caps were to highlight a point, not shouting at all. We all here or read something and we all take it in many ways as to what we think is being said, just watch the news at any given time and see how it has so many interpretations.

As for this forum Alan and his team have put together a great community, for as he said a resource for pilots both new and experienced. . We will not always agree with what others have to say and or do here. With that said I will continue to support the UAV coach sites and all they do as there is a wealth of information to be learned here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Generally I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, particularly when I've gotten to know them a bit over the last few months, so @New Pilot I'll just trust you're having a bad day and using this forum as some kind of outlet. That's OK. That's what forums are for sometimes.

All I ask is that we tone down the hyperbole / politics (unless Trump has an sUAS policy I haven't heard about :)), keep things civil and educational (that goes for everyone!), and hopefully we can continue to keep this place a warm, inviting, consultative resource for pilots both new and experienced.

Well said! I am new here and trying to learn all I can! A soft answer will turn away a wrathful person! But grievous words can and will stir a person up!  So let's get back to learning! 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my exam appointment thru CATS. Now to hit the books!

Exam Information

Exam Name:

Unmanned Aircraft - General

Exam Date:

8/29/2016

Exam Start Time:

10:00 AM

Exam End Time:

12:00 PM

Allotted Time:

120 minutes

 

 

Testing Center Information

Testing Center Name:

**Chandler Air Service, Inc.

Testing Center Address:   

1675 East Ryan Rd.
Chandler, AZ 85249

Phone Number:

480-963-6420 (By Appt Only Mon. - Sun. 8AM - 3PM)

Directions:

http://candidate.comiratesting.com/comira/viewsite.php?id=ABS85204

 

On the day of your exam, please arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow for check-in time with the test proctor.

At the time of your exam, you will be required to present the following items:

All applicants must present valid, current identification including a photo, date of birth, signature, and residential address. U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens must present at least one government-issued photo ID to fulfill these requirements. Foreign applicants must present both a valid passport and secondary form of government-issued photo identification. For more detailed information, please consult:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

An initial attempt of this test requires no authorization. If you have previously attempted this test, there is a 14-day waiting period for retesting. You must present the original, embossed AKTR from your previous attempt. Additionally, no instructor endorsement or other form of written authorization is required to retest after failure.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations prohibit testing without these items. If you do not have these documents in your possession at the testing center, you will not be able to test and your exam fee will be forfeited.

The following materials are allowed and prohibited in the testing room:

Allowed Materials

Prohibited Materials

All models of aviation-oriented calculators may be used, including small electronic calculators that perform only arithmetic functions (add, subtract, multiply, and divide). Simple programmable memories (which allow addition to, subtraction from, or retrieval of one number from the memory) are permissible. Also, simple functions, such as square root and percent keys, are permissible. Applicants may use scales, straightedges, protractors, plotters, navigation computers, blank logsheets, holding pattern entry aids, and electronic or mechanical calculators that are directly related to the test. For more detailed information, please consult: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/

Applicants for airman knowledge tests may not take any written materials (either handwritten, printed, or electronic) other than the supplement book provided by the proctor into the testing area. The use of magnetic cards, magnetic tapes, modules, computer chips, or any other device upon which prewritten programs or information related to the test can be stored and retrieved is prohibited. Applicants are not allowed to bring personal writing utensils into the testing room; any required writing utensils will be provided by the proctor and collected at the conclusion of the test.


IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING EXAM:

For additional information on Airmen Testing, please visit:

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf/

Need to make changes? Want to cancel or reschedule your exam? Please contact CATS at (800) 947-4228. We are available: Monday - Friday from 5:30AM PT to 5:00PM PT and Saturday - Sunday from 7:00AM PT to 3:30PM PT for your convenience. All exams must be rescheduled or cancelled 24 hours prior to appointment. Failure to do so will result in forfeiting exam fee.

*Scheduling is subject to change due to weather and/or exam center availability. In the event of a scheduled change you will be notified by CATS.*

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING SERVICE:

CATS knows how important it is that your testing experience proceeds as expected. We strive to provide our valued clients the best customer service possible; from your first contact with our Call Center to your testing appointment at the Testing Center. We want you to know that we are with you for the entire time. It has been our experience that most testing registration and appointment issues are the result of miscommunications, and that generally they can be resolved while you are at the Testing Center.

Our expectation is that you will receive premier service from our Call Center as well as from the Testing Center. If we do not meet your expectations I would like to know about it as soon as possible. Please call me directly at my listed number below or contact me through email. I will take immediate action to ensure that any inconvenience is minimized.

Thank you,

Mark Dennehy
signature1.png
President and CEO
Computer Assisted Testing Service, Inc. (CATS)
Comira
(800) 947-4228 ext. 216
Mark.Dennehy@catstest.com

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sample test here. I expect it to be no harder than a private pilot exam. took mine in 1970 and commercial in 1976. Of course you are right, Easy if one prepares, tough if applicants do not. The FAA is making it as painless as possible, I mean, all the stuff is out there.

If I pass mine in August, I'll tell you all about it. If I flunk, you'll never see me again...:D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2016 at 1:23 PM, Uaviator53 said:

Got my exam appointment thru CATS. Now to hit the books!

Exam Information

 

Exam Name:

 

Unmanned Aircraft - General

 

Exam Date:

 

8/29/2016

 

Exam Start Time:

 

10:00 AM

 

Exam End Time:

 

12:00 PM

 

Allotted Time:

 

120 minutes

 

 

 

 

 

Testing Center Information

 

Testing Center Name:

 

**Chandler Air Service, Inc.

 

Testing Center Address:   

 

1675 East Ryan Rd.
Chandler, AZ 85249

 

Phone Number:

 

480-963-6420 (By Appt Only Mon. - Sun. 8AM - 3PM)

 

Directions:

 

http://candidate.comiratesting.com/comira/viewsite.php?id=ABS85204

 

 

 

On the day of your exam, please arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow for check-in time with the test proctor.

 

At the time of your exam, you will be required to present the following items:

 

All applicants must present valid, current identification including a photo, date of birth, signature, and residential address. U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens must present at least one government-issued photo ID to fulfill these requirements. Foreign applicants must present both a valid passport and secondary form of government-issued photo identification. For more detailed information, please consult:
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

An initial attempt of this test requires no authorization. If you have previously attempted this test, there is a 14-day waiting period for retesting. You must present the original, embossed AKTR from your previous attempt. Additionally, no instructor endorsement or other form of written authorization is required to retest after failure.

 

Federal Aviation Administration regulations prohibit testing without these items. If you do not have these documents in your possession at the testing center, you will not be able to test and your exam fee will be forfeited.

 

The following materials are allowed and prohibited in the testing room:

 

Allowed Materials

 

Prohibited Materials

 

All models of aviation-oriented calculators may be used, including small electronic calculators that perform only arithmetic functions (add, subtract, multiply, and divide). Simple programmable memories (which allow addition to, subtraction from, or retrieval of one number from the memory) are permissible. Also, simple functions, such as square root and percent keys, are permissible. Applicants may use scales, straightedges, protractors, plotters, navigation computers, blank logsheets, holding pattern entry aids, and electronic or mechanical calculators that are directly related to the test. For more detailed information, please consult: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/

 

Applicants for airman knowledge tests may not take any written materials (either handwritten, printed, or electronic) other than the supplement book provided by the proctor into the testing area. The use of magnetic cards, magnetic tapes, modules, computer chips, or any other device upon which prewritten programs or information related to the test can be stored and retrieved is prohibited. Applicants are not allowed to bring personal writing utensils into the testing room; any required writing utensils will be provided by the proctor and collected at the conclusion of the test.

 


IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING EXAM:

 

For additional information on Airmen Testing, please visit:

 

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf/

 

Need to make changes? Want to cancel or reschedule your exam? Please contact CATS at (800) 947-4228. We are available: Monday - Friday from 5:30AM PT to 5:00PM PT and Saturday - Sunday from 7:00AM PT to 3:30PM PT for your convenience. All exams must be rescheduled or cancelled 24 hours prior to appointment. Failure to do so will result in forfeiting exam fee.

 

*Scheduling is subject to change due to weather and/or exam center availability. In the event of a scheduled change you will be notified by CATS.*

 

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING SERVICE:

 

CATS knows how important it is that your testing experience proceeds as expected. We strive to provide our valued clients the best customer service possible; from your first contact with our Call Center to your testing appointment at the Testing Center. We want you to know that we are with you for the entire time. It has been our experience that most testing registration and appointment issues are the result of miscommunications, and that generally they can be resolved while you are at the Testing Center.

 

Our expectation is that you will receive premier service from our Call Center as well as from the Testing Center. If we do not meet your expectations I would like to know about it as soon as possible. Please call me directly at my listed number below or contact me through email. I will take immediate action to ensure that any inconvenience is minimized.

 

Thank you,

 

Mark Dennehy
signature1.png
President and CEO
Computer Assisted Testing Service, Inc. (CATS)
Comira
(800) 947-4228 ext. 216
Mark.Dennehy@catstest.com

 

HECK YEAH! Great info, appreciate you posting in here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.