Hey everyone,

I’ve been flying dji drones for a long time, but I thought it was time to upgrade in order to carry my nicer DSLR cameras for my photo/video stuff. I was gifted an old Cinestar 8 with the mikrokopter electronics stack. I’m new to heavy lifters. I understand it’s going to need a lot of tuning, but I’m having some issues with it. I’ve gotten pretty comfortable flying manual but this is obviously not ideal on the job, so I’m trying to get the altitude and gps modes to be more reliable. I’ve calibrated the compass and gps, yet it has the tendency to drift around quite a bit, even though checking the compass and gps says it’s calibration is spot on and has great satellite communication. Also, altitude hold feels very unreliable. It’s obvious it’s trying to work, but it moves far too much to put me at ease.

While the position hold is unreliable, I’m far less concerned with that as I am with altitude control, since precise elevation is crucial in areas I often have to fly. I’m curious if this drone is capable of being set up more like some of the smaller drones. As in, the copter once armed remains idle until throttle is lifted beyond a certain point. Then, on enabling alt hold, the throttle stick will switch to adjusting the speed of climb/descent rather than actual throttle. I’ve found the vario altitude hold, but this is still not quite the preferred behavior and still feels unreliable. Obviously I have a lot to learn, coming from mostly plug and play ready to fly systems. That being said, any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, MorganCaldbeck said:

Hey everyone,

I’ve been flying dji drones for a long time, but I thought it was time to upgrade in order to carry my nicer DSLR cameras for my photo/video stuff. I was gifted an old Cinestar 8 with the mikrokopter electronics stack. I’m new to heavy lifters. I understand it’s going to need a lot of tuning, but I’m having some issues with it. I’ve gotten pretty comfortable flying manual but this is obviously not ideal on the job, so I’m trying to get the altitude and gps modes to be more reliable. I’ve calibrated the compass and gps, yet it has the tendency to drift around quite a bit, even though checking the compass and gps says it’s calibration is spot on and has great satellite communication. Also, altitude hold feels very unreliable. It’s obvious it’s trying to work, but it moves far too much to put me at ease.

While the position hold is unreliable, I’m far less concerned with that as I am with altitude control, since precise elevation is crucial in areas I often have to fly. I’m curious if this drone is capable of being set up more like some of the smaller drones. As in, the copter once armed remains idle until throttle is lifted beyond a certain point. Then, on enabling alt hold, the throttle stick will switch to adjusting the speed of climb/descent rather than actual throttle. I’ve found the vario altitude hold, but this is still not quite the preferred behavior and still feels unreliable. Obviously I have a lot to learn, coming from mostly plug and play ready to fly systems. That being said, any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Morgan,

I just joined this forum to try to answer your questions about your Cinestar/MK octocopter. 

Did you get it working the way you want?  If not, what are the flight controller, navigation controller, and GPS versions?

-Don

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DonLeRoi said:

Hi Morgan,

I just joined this forum to try to answer your questions about your Cinestar/MK octocopter. 

Did you get it working the way you want?  If not, what are the flight controller, navigation controller, and GPS versions?

-Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for taking the time to jump in on this, I really appreciate it! I haven’t messed with it much since then, honestly a bit scared to put it up in there with it not behaving as I expected. I don’t have that info on me at the moment but tomorrow I’ll make sure to go get that for you. I’ve updated all the firmware for it except for the esc board (which is because the newest firmware I believe is not compatible with the esc board I have).

I think the biggest thing I need help with is tuning for the load once I get the altitude hold working. I haven’t worked with anything quite like this before so I appreciate your taking time to help. 😁