New Member and New to Drones

Hi!  My boys who are 11 and 13 just started getting into flying drones and I decided to join in on the fun.  It's been a lot of fun but finding models that don't break in 2 weeks has been a challenge.  The brands that we have been flying have been Holy Stone and Snaptain.  Fortunately Amazon has a very generous return policy.  My older son (knock on wood) has had the best of luck with his Snaptain S5c and H10 (foldable mini drone).  I went through 2 Snaptain SP650's, each with a motor that would stop working.  I got a Snaptain S15H that flew away on me.  My son will be on his 3rd Holy Stone HS110D.  So far (knock on wood) I've had good luck with a HS110G but it's honestly not as nimble as the SP650, so it's not as much fun to fly.  We fly mostly in our yard and use trees like an obstacle course trying to navigate around in a figure 8.  As we learn we've had our fare share of crashes into trees and poles but physically the drones seem to take the punishment.  One thing my HS110G has that makes going to higher elevations less stressful is the GPS.  I finally go the nerve to go up to 30 m, just shy of 100 ft AGL.  Up there it was rock solid.

One thing I find on this forum is a strong lack of discussion of the Holy Stone and Snaptain brands.  Should I be looking elsewhere for reliable, fun, and budget friendly drones to learn on?

I have to give Snaptain credit that they are sending me a replacement S15H after the flyaway I experienced.  The experience of losing control and watching go out of view was very unsettling.  It most likely is in a tree :(.

I look forward to learning more about this hobby from the community here.

Welcome!…Yeah not a whole lot said about the “Cheapies”...Personally, I bought a Potensic-T35...gave like $115.00 Brand New...it was a NICE Little Drone, but a tree jumped out in front of it....If y’all are going to fly low and dodge trees I would buy a $40.00 “Racing Clone” & enjoy the GPS Model @ Altitude (it ought to go 250 easily)....and if ya get Freaked Out hit that “Return Home” Panic Button!…Anyway have fun!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Level@400 said:

Welcome!…Yeah not a whole lot said about the “Cheapies”...Personally, I bought a Potensic-T35...gave like $115.00 Brand New...it was a NICE Little Drone, but a tree jumped out in front of it....If y’all are going to fly low and dodge trees I would buy a $40.00 “Racing Clone” & enjoy the GPS Model @ Altitude (it ought to go 250 easily)....and if ya get Freaked Out hit that “Return Home” Panic Button!…Anyway have fun!

Thank you for the welcome and your response.  The more I research and mull it over, I think I'm going to take the approach you suggest.  Actually, I had decided on that but I got so excited on how my A15H was performing that I couldn't help myself and took it to a high altitude that was frankly probably too high for it.  You live and you learn.  That will be my "fly through the trees" drone to get used to orienting as the drone changes direction and working on my FPV skills.  

As I research the high end "cheapie" brands, I find that the Mavic Mini isn't much more in addition, and it seems to be the real deal.  

4 minutes ago, ProfessorEfir said:

Are you interested in drones for the purpose of just flying or capturing mesmerizing footage? I don’t understand the first one, but if you need the second, then use DJI drones.

I'm not a photographer or a videographer, so the mesmerizing footage part of it is kinda secondary at this point.  It is pretty thrilling to capture images from high altitude, that is for sure.  I got the nerve to get 40m up today in my yard and got a pretty cool shot which I attached to my post.

My first passion is being a musician, so perhaps I could combine the two and work toward capturing footage for a music video.

You make a great point though regarding DJI vs. the others.  Thanks for chiming in!

130_foot_drone_pic.jpg