Dropping Participation In This UAV Community

New Pilot

I have come to the sad conclusion that this forum is more attuned to glad-handing, self-congratulatory platitudes, and "look at me- see what I do, did, have done, or will do." 

It is dominated by the " experts," the wanna-be professionals," and those who wanted recognition(and I am sorry to say, me.) I can no longer play the kiss-ass newbie drone pilot. Doing so since I got my Blade Chroma in March, I joined this forum thinking that I would be part of something special. Turns out I was completely mistaken. 

You drone pilots remind me of an Andy Griffith episode where Andy and Barney are invited up to Raleigh to attend Roger's club meeting. Barney tries too hard to be liked by the members and is, behind his back, made fun of and snubbed. He, like me, made some outrageous claims to what his drone could or might do, and in the process, realized he looked like a fool. His drone was his self-inflated worth. 

I now realize that I have not one iota of connection with this group and to continue " sucking up to you" does not help me in the least. A case in point. I mentioned in a post that I made an aerial video of a swamp in a south Georgia. I asked for feedback as to what I could do to improve my videographic skills because I wanted, for personal reasons, to make better videos. I posted my plea on the Photo and Video forum as the "rules" require. I asked the moderator for feedback, I asked the members for feedback. You know what I got for my efforts? 0 replies. 

So, here's my response:????????????????????????????????????????

Jim H. Wells

Happy to be Free Done Owner, Not New Pilot No More

Hello @New Pilot your choice completely, however this forum has been very helpful to many including myself, just because your question about editing your photo was not commented on by everyone or anyone is a sad reason to say that is why you are leaving. Not ALL questions are answered directly or ever, again however there is a wealth of information on this site.

And yes people to like to pat themselves on the back, hope you have your own chance someday to do that.

Your comment of * I now realize that I have not one iota of connection with this group and to continue " sucking up to you" does not help me in the least.*

I have found that those that need to suck up to someone are the ones that need the most help.

Good luck in flying

2 hours ago, New Pilot said:

A case in point. I mentioned in a post that I made an aerial video of a swamp in a south Georgia. I asked for feedback as to what I could do to improve my videographic skills because I wanted, for personal reasons, to make better videos. I posted my plea on the Photo and Video forum as the "rules" require. I asked the moderator for feedback, I asked the members for feedback. You know what I got for my efforts? 0 replies.

That's on me, and I apologize.

Our team is going through some growing pains right now. I just hired a forum moderator, @RemotelyPossible, and we're doing our best to form stronger processes and to get back to folks in a more timely manner.

We've been swamped since the Part 107 announcement and focusing on other aspects of the UAV Coach machine, leaving many of the folks in this forum without the answers they need.

Please remember, @New Pilot...this is a free place to hang out. We're doing the best we can. We're not as lively or big as some of the other forums out there, but I've always tried to be transparent with this community and to be helpful wherever I can. Looks like my team has failed you, and for that I apologize.

@New Pilot, for what it's worth...I looked into this a bit more.

Unless I'm missing something, and please let me know if I am, you never published the video in question on this forum OR requested explicit feedback from our community.

You wrote:

The clip is titled Ogeechee River Swamp Norfolk Southern Rail Line 6 20 2016 on You Tube.

And in another thread, you wrote:

Check out my youtube video as well. I live in Georgia on a 356 acre farm about 70 miles north of Savannah Ga.

There was no link or embedded video to watch.

There was no specific "ask" for feedback in either of these posts. Just..."take a gander" or "check out my youtube video as well" -- If you'd like folks to engage with you in this (or other) forum(s) in the future, it might be helpful if you made it easier for people to know what it is you're looking for.

@New Pilot I know Alan, and when he says he has been swamped I would say he is. They are trying to keep up with and provide all here with the correct information coming out on part 107, let alone keeping the forum up to date, new courses etc.. I have made post in the past that have had many views but no answers, it happens!

I scan other forums to see what is going on elsewhere but this is my one of choice, because the information here the advice and suggestions along with helpful ideas for others is top notch. And I have made some nice contacts with others

I also looked at your post and I never saw published video you were talking about , I to may of missed it, don't know

@Alan Perlman, congrats. You are now officially a forum! As I posted on another thread, this place is refreshing compared to pro pilot forums. You have built a very good community here. I look forward to meeting you at one of the upcoming conferences. I'll let you know which fits my schedule later and we'll make plans, but I think the Las Vegas one was the one my schedule fit. I'm planning on booking travel in the next couple of weeks. 

Cheers! 

Joe V

Hey @New Pilot

Sorry if you are feeling ignored; if you would like to link the video in the post you will get a lot more views and i have found that our members our quick to comment, and give suggestions. If you are wondering how to link the video you can copy the URL from the you-tube page of the video directly into your post and it should auto-format it in line with your post. This will make it easier for the members, and honestly greatly increases the chances of someone stopping and taking time out of their day to watch the video.

Archived