Confused: Other than Registration, What Else do Recreational Pilots have to do

I'm sure this has been asked before:  I am getting the Mavic Air 2.  I have the Mini that does not require Registration with the FAA.

I know I have to register the Mavic Air 2, but do I also have to take an ONLINE test?  It is not very clear.

Thanks. I apologize if this has been asked a million times before.

Larry in California 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a DJI Phantom 2, and I very reluctantly registered it with the FAA and paid the $5.00 fee. All it is is a way for this country to collect more money and put more restrictions on people like they did after 9/11 and now with coronavirus. However if it helps getting the drone returned if it gets lost.... then it is worth it, however I do not think it actually would. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, Larry in Palm Springs said:

I'm sure this has been asked before:  I am getting the Mavic Air 2.  I have the Mini that does not require Registration with the FAA.

I know I have to register the Mavic Air 2, but do I also have to take an ONLINE test?  It is not very clear.

Thanks. I apologize if this has been asked a million times before.

Larry in California 

Also experienced this confusion. When trying to register, I kept trying to find a place to test on the site. After some hunting, I found that the test was still a work-in-progress and hadn't been implemented yet, despite the requirement. Funny...

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, Larry in Palm Springs said:

@twinjet is correct.  Here is the FAA information page for recreational drone pilots.  It gives you a list of rules to follow and has a section called "Changes Coming in the Future" which has the testing requirement listed - "Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage."

On 12/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, Grand_Pubah said:

I went head and registered my Mini 2, because once I place an accessory on it will probably weigh more. I'm somewhat studying for the Post 107 test, but I still haven't found a place to try out the thing or even practice. It's a confusing hobby and a frustrating one.

Thanks and stay safe,

Keith

@Grand_Pubah Where are you located if you don't mind sharing?  Are you near a large airport or other controlled airspace that is preventing you from flying?

I'm in the same boat, the regs are not very clear. Well they are clear about the test but I can't find the test anywhere and now I know why. The FAA are not dealing with commercial pilots here so don't make it so hard. All they need is a page where you can go and learn about the responsibilities of owning a drone and take a test, then have all manufacturers place a label on new drones with the web link. Right now I have no idea if I'm legally allowed to fly my drone. I own the mini 2 and registered it too, better to be on the safe side but I hope I don't get caught flying it if I'm not meant to.

13 minutes ago, Chris in NC said:

I'm in the same boat, the regs are not very clear. Well they are clear about the test but I can't find the test anywhere and now I know why. The FAA are not dealing with commercial pilots here so don't make it so hard. All they need is a page where you can go and learn about the responsibilities of owning a drone and take a test, then have all manufacturers place a label on new drones with the web link. Right now I have no idea if I'm legally allowed to fly my drone. I own the mini 2 and registered it too, better to be on the safe side but I hope I don't get caught flying it if I'm not meant to.

@Chris in NC A lot of people share your frustration and the FAA does try to get information out to recreational flyers, but admittedly they seem to be more focused on commercial use of the national airspace.  They get a lot of pressure from lobbyists and other parts of the government to figure out hard problems like how to make it safe for Amazon to deliver packages with drones.  See this article about congress pressuring the FAA to sort out beyond line of sight rules for package delivery and other applications. https://www.thedronegirl.com/2021/01/05/congress-faa-bvlos-plans/. One of the best things you can do to get more comfortable flying your drone is to take some time and learn more about how our national airspace works.  https://www.faa.gov/UAS/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/airspace_restrictions/. There are also several free courses for beginner drone pilots.

Edited by Drone Outlook

3 minutes ago, Drone Outlook said:

@Chris in NC A lot of people share your frustration and the FAA does try to get information out to recreational flyers, but admittedly they seem to be more focused on commercial use of the national airspace.  They get a lot of pressure from lobbyists and other parts of the government to figure out hard problems like how to make it safe for Amazon to deliver packages with drones.  See this article about congress pressuring the FAA to sort out beyond line of sight rules for package delivery and other applications. https://www.thedronegirl.com/2021/01/05/congress-faa-bvlos-plans/. One of the best things you can do to get more comfortable flying your drone is to take some time and learn more about how our national airspace works.  https://www.faa.gov/UAS/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/airspace_restrictions/. There are also several free courses for beginner drone pilots.

I appreciate the fast reply. Luckily I have a good place to practice and I understand the basic rules (common sense) I just wanted to make sure I'm not breaking any laws.

Thanks again.

• Like 1