Sign in to follow this  
mconcialdi

Lines through video

As I mentioned in your other thread, my guess is you need to balance your props. Do a youtube search for drone prop balancing to see what I'm talking about. 

If anybody has any other ideas, I'm all ears and still learning. 

• Like 1

I would be hard pressed to think that there is a significant enough volume displacement from those props to create a Schlieren effect (this is like the waves you see above a road in the middle of the desert). I would have to say the most likely culprits will be the lens, the CMOS (or other sensor) or possible some interference present in the wireless signal.May want to take a look at your user manual to see what settings you can change on the camera itself.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:48 AM, RemotelyPossible said:

I would be hard pressed to think that there is a significant enough volume displacement from those props to create a Schlieren effect (this is like the waves you see above a road in the middle of the desert). I would have to say the most likely culprits will be the lens, the CMOS (or other sensor) or possible some interference present in the wireless signal.May want to take a look at your user manual to see what settings you can change on the camera itself.

I'm not saying it's a Schlieren effect. I'm saying unbalanced props are causing a vibration. Do a youtube search on the effect.

Or you can mess with CMOS and wiring. Whichever you choose...:D

True but that vibration will also manifest in the flight mechanics, @mconcialdi are you having any hover or stability issues while this is happening? Always a good idea to ensure you have properly check the balance on your props prior to flight, may be an easy fix, may not be the issue, but good to check.

• Like 1

hmm.. Ill have to fly and check it again. It was the last shot of the day and i noticed it after the flight on the video.  I flew it all day and the rest of the footage was great.  

I flew backwards and it did not have the vibrations and the effect you see in the video.  I was also live streaming that time on Facebook. maybe that extra info might help.  Im gonna fly soon and check. I did check how to balance the props though!. thanks! @Txpilot

On 7/7/2016 at 9:08 PM, mconcialdi said:

Can someone please tell me what is causing this problem?  It was the only time I had this issue the whole day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c6BkdsiK6Q

Thanks in advance.

Marc

I believe this is mostly due to flying directly into sunlight. It's an optical effect resulting from the shutter speed, direction you're facing in regards to the sun and gimbal tilt. I've come to realize that if I switch direction slightly, or tilt the gimbal a bite more down, or just not fly against the sun that I won't see these happening.

Another option is to fly slower, as you fly faster the drone will be at an angle relative to the sunlight and the props will probably come into the field-of-view and increase this effect your're seeing. That is why you probably won't see the same effect if you're still flying against the sun, but backwards.

I've heard that buying ND filters might help a bit, but really the main advice is not to fly directly facing sunlight.

Hope it helps.

• Like 3

You nailed it brother...This is exactly what it is!  I checked over and over and I totally thought the same thing but I wasn't sure.

BIG THANK YOU!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 8:47 AM, NunoB said:

I believe this is mostly due to flying directly into sunlight. It's an optical effect resulting from the shutter speed, direction you're facing in regards to the sun and gimbal tilt. I've come to realize that if I switch direction slightly, or tilt the gimbal a bite more down, or just not fly against the sun that I won't see these happening.

Another option is to fly slower, as you fly faster the drone will be at an angle relative to the sunlight and the props will probably come into the field-of-view and increase this effect your're seeing. That is why you probably won't see the same effect if you're still flying against the sun, but backwards.

I've heard that buying ND filters might help a bit, but really the main advice is not to fly directly facing sunlight.

Hope it helps.

Nice job, totally didn't think of that, yes a set of ND filters and a polarizer are a must for great footage on very bright days. Also making sure that you have set the camera shutter speed to at least double your fps (for the playback) for better results. flying slower will also help great job!