Pentagon Releases List of 5 Government Approved Drones, Culmination of 18 Months of Research and Testing

The Department of Defense (DOD) recently released a list of five drones that have been approved for use at federal agencies.

The list was created by the Department of Defense’s Defense Innovation Unit (DIU), which has been testing the drones over the last 18 months.

Here are the drones approved by the DIU:

Read our recent article to learn more about the DIU's in-depth testing of these 5 drones and what the future might look like for drones in the U.S. government.

First, I wish I had this information when I purchased my 1st drone 6 months ago.  I certainly would have given US made it's due consideration.

2nd, I'm not sure how we will ever inspire a robust drone community when we limit use of them to the extent we do.  I live in Florida, in not so overwhelmingly populated area.  From my perspective, I can't fly in National Parks, State Parks and my county states "...you can't launch or land a drone in/on any county property, including county parks...".  This leave little to no place to fly.  I was driven toward flying and photography but had to join an RC club just to have a place to fly.  This totally limits any serious photography.  If the government wants to build a US based drone manufacturing base, it needs to provide space to fly to attract more flyers into the hobby/business.

• Like 1

I hear you @JFD49er, the regulatory scene here in the U.S. can be frustrating, especially when local laws basically make it impossible to fly. And sometimes those local laws aren't even technically legal, since the FAA controls the NAS—but, like your county did, they *can* legislate about where you can take off/land even though they can't legislate what happens in the air.

Hang in there. I do think the FAA is—slowly—moving forward. Hopefully the results from the UAS IPP, which is wrapping up next month, may point the way toward reconciling federal/local concerns so we can actually fly.

• 2 weeks later...

@Extraterrestrial DJI is currently only banned from use at certain federal agencies right now, including the Army and the Dep't of the Interior. It looks like a blanket ban for all federal agencies will come in the form of the American Security Drone Act (ASDA) when it passes, which it probably will. It will also apply to grants provided to local entities, like police departments, although police departments can buy whatever they want with their budgets otherwise.

If you're interested in learning more about the ASDA this article I wrote a little while back covers some common misconceptions and what it will do/not do for DJI ("Chinese drones" :))—https://uavcoach.com/american-security-drone-act-1/ 

• Like 1