Afternoon all,

I am wanting to purchase a drone for Arial shots in the modular industry for all our future installs, i have no experience in flying drones or know which drone i need for -  A. beginner, b. what licences i need and c. the right drone to suit the best images/video. all images will be for the company i work for only.

Hope someone can give me some direction i would be grateful of any help.

Nick

Hi Nick, 

There are a handful of reputable companies out there that specialize in integrating drones into a workplace. I don't want to recommend any specific because I haven't used them myself. However, if you just google something along those lines I am sure a few prominent names will appear. 

I'll try and answer your questions the best I can but please understand I am not an expert and have only been flying myself for around 6 months. 

A.) From my experience a beginner can pick up one of these name brand drones and learn to fly it very quickly with minimal effort. I've only flown a few varieties of DJI Brand drones and their user controls are always very simple to follow. Basically, if you've ever held a video game controller in your hands you can fly a quad copter. It just takes some practice getting used to handling the controls while not keeping your head down. Once I got more comfortable I spend most of my time watching the drone as I fly to where I am trying to go occasionally checking the screen for camera positioning. 

B.) You can fly a drone without a license at all however, if you want to fly a drone commercially you need to obtain the CFR 14 Part 107 License. It sounds like a lot of work but I promise it isn't. It took me a couple weekends spending a few hours here and there going through the course. By the time I went to go take the test I was in and out in 30 minutes. I do not work for UAV Coach but I figure since this is their forums I'll give you a link to their program to assist you in obtaining it or at least point you in the right direction of what you could look for. https://uavcoach.com/drone-certification/ 

C.) In order to answer this question people will probably ask you what are you trying to do with the photos? Are you taking them for in-house only, outside marketing, roof inspections etc etc. I don't think there is a "go-to" drone but there are a handful of good ones. I've flown the Mavic Air 2, Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual. They're all amazing and I have nothing but good things to say about them all. The only advice I could give to you on this one is look at your budget, shop around online and compare the specifications between battery life/flight time and camera capabilities. I'd also suggest always getting the "fly more" combo from any company. The extra batteries, accessories and the case that typically come with them are amazing and well worth the extra money. 

Best of luck to you out there! Hopefully this answers a few of your questions or at least points you in the right direction.

Steven