Where to start? How to start?

Good afternoon all!

Real quick background, I’m a non-traditional (woohoo! second career time) student working towards a Bachelors of Science in Wildlife, Sustainability, and Ecosystems Science (WSES) with a concentration in Natural Resource Ecology (focusing on plants).  I have been reading up and looking at the use of drones for plant mapping.  I have seen significant information and videos on the use of multispectral imaging using drones for agriculture purposes and think those methods would be beneficial in plant community research.  However, where to start.  In my younger more wilder days I’d have just dove right in but now I’m better and taking my time and thinking things through before I take the plunge.  The more I read the more questions I have.  For instance, what is required by the FAA to use drones?  Is it the same requirements if it is for research?  Which drone should I consider?  How user friendly is the different mapping software?  Is the annual subscription cost worth it? I also have been trying to figure out if the different mapping data and photos can be imported into different software suites such as ArcGIS.  Any thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

DMJ

Hi @Dmjohnston,

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum! To help get you started, I recommend reviewing the drone laws in the U.S.  In order to operate your drone commercially, you will need to have an FAA Part 107 certification. You can learn more about that process on this page .

Please let us know if you have any questions!

- Chase