Potentially wanted to get into this field after hating Engineering Design work. Need some help.

As for my background, I graduated in 2018 with a B.S in Civil engineering. I have been working 2 years in a structural design section for a government agency, and I absolutely hate it. There is so much to know and memorize and I don’t remember any calculations or formulas from school. I am constantly asking for help and struggling with anything given to me. I don’t know what I was thinking getting into type of work. I dread waking up every morning.

Looking at other options with a civil degree, I remember taking surveying in school. It was only one semester, but I actually enjoyed it. The math involved seems just enough to keep me engaged but not too heavy. And I also love doing CAD work in my current job and it seems like that is something done a lot for surveying.

Problem is I have no idea where to start. Other than the class I don’t have any experience with equipment or anything, and I feel like structural design is far from anything survey related, I never deal with maps or GIS software or anything. Is this an issue or will a civil degree help me in the door. Also what position do I start at? I’ve seen rodmen (seems like the very entry), surveyor technician, and just surveyor (is this the one that needs a license). I just don’t know

If you have any input or think this could be a potential career change I would love to hear anything you have to say. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Jinesh said:

As for my background, I graduated in 2018 with a B.S in Civil engineering. I have been working 2 years in a structural design section for a government agency, and I absolutely hate it. There is so much to know and memorize and I don’t remember any calculations or formulas from school. I am constantly asking for help and struggling with anything given to me. I don’t know what I was thinking getting into type of work. I dread waking up every morning.

Looking at other options with a civil degree, I remember taking surveying in school. It was only one semester, but I actually enjoyed it. The math involved seems just enough to keep me engaged but not too heavy. And I also love doing CAD work in my current job and it seems like that is something done a lot for surveying https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/.

Problem is I have no idea where to start. Other than the class I don’t have any experience with equipment or anything, and I feel like structural design is far from anything survey related, I never deal with maps or GIS software or anything. Is this an issue or will a civil degree help me in the door. Also what position do I start at? I’ve seen rodmen (seems like the very entry), surveyor technician, and just surveyor (is this the one that needs a license). I just don’t know

If you have any input or think this could be a potential career change I would love to hear anything you have to say. Thanks! 

I got this thanks.

Wow, not sure what to think?  I feel your pain though.

Most people in the commercial drone market are not civil engineers.  Generally they're RC enthusiasts who have a passion for flying drones that are trying to figure out how to make money with their  avocation.  To get into the real money they basically have to become what I call "Civil Engineers" and "Surveyor" lite.  They have to learn a lot about GIS accuracy and how GPS, RTK and INS systems work together to create accurate maps, and a lot about the infrastructure the drones are inspecting.  

So already being a "Civil Engineer," albeit an unhappy one for the moment, can give you a competitive advantage over all the other "dronies" who are not.  Clearly remote sensing is becoming a big thing and if you can figure out how to use drones to extend the reach of Civil Engineers accurately you can make a lot of money by providing it as a service or developing technology that will make it more accurate and/or easier to use.  Especially if you can manufacture it anywhere but China.

How old are you and where are you located?