Light payload drone advice

I am a high school teacher looking to buy a drone for a student engineering project.  The drone needs to be able to lift a 400 g package to 100-150 ft and release it.  Can anyone recommend an inexpensive drone that a beginner like myself could use for this purpose?  Thanks!

As a designer and constructor of mukltirotor models, I will be happy to give you a few useful tips.

1) I warmly suggest to use a hexacopter or octocopter configuration. Quadcopters are not redundant (e.g. if one of the motors stops, the model becomes uncontrollable and crashes).

2) Use good quality motors. I would recomment the  EMAX CF2822 1200kv version, with three blade 8" x 4.5" propellers. This motor is very reliable and efficient while fairly inexpensive. I am adding  a couple of useful links from good sellers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-CF2822-1200KV-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-for-RC-Airplane-Accessor-ss/164441042233?hash=item2649732d39:g:RtIAAOSwTz1eUyV6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8X-Good-Three-3-Blade-8045-Black-8x4-5-Propeller-L-R-CW-CCW-For-Multi-Copter/233807822606?hash=item3670083f0e:g:rSwAAOSwcF9UW3Gv

I have previously bought from these sellers and they deliver proper items.

3) The easiest and reliable flight controller to buy is the KK2:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-kk2-1hc-multi-rotor-hard-case-flight-control-board.html?___store=en_us

It is inexpensive, rugged and fairly easy to program. I never had a problem with it.

4) BUY A RELIABLE TRANSMITTER. I use the Graupner brand, but there are many. It is better to spend a few more dollars than to have something that easily fails. The transmitter will need to be have 8 channels and work in the (now usual) 2.4 GHz band.

5) REMEMBER: UNLICENCED MULTIROTORS PILOTS NEED TO BE INSTRUCTED. THERE ARE MTOW (TOTAL WEIGHT AT TAKE OFF) LIMITATIONS FOR  LIGHT DRONES. DO NOT FLY NEAR BUILT-UP AREAS OR IN PUBLIC PLACES (APRKS, BEACHES ETC.).

I am adding a few photos of my own hexacopters and a link to a video taken with one of them, equipped with my own anti-vibration device for the camera  (SOUND ON!):

BEST OF LUCK!

Folded H6.jpg

Unfolded H6.jpg

Disassemblable V6 front damper.jpg

Disassemblable V6 front view.jpg

Disassemblable V6 side view.jpg

There are a number of drones on the market, but they all are too small for your requirement, have a fairly limited flying time (if the manufacturer declares a max. flying time of 15 minutes, cut that by three) and often not much reliability. They are designed to carry their own weight (generally 250-400 gr) plus a maximum of 100 gr camera, unless you wish to spend quite a lot.

The other thing is that building your own (not buying a kit) will help you to understand how the multirotiors work and it will be very satisfactyory. I still suggest that you try and build. I will be happy to help you.  Keep in mind as well  that the total weight of your drone must be less that 1500 gr, including batteries and payload. Over that weight, you will need a remote aircraft licence. Please let me know.You can reach me directly at my email address: uncle72@optusnet.com.au

Cordially

Bruno

www.brunodemichelis.com and links at bootm page.

On 12/15/2020 at 12:53 AM, JackieC said:

I am a high school teacher looking to buy a drone for a student engineering project.  The drone needs to be able to lift a 400 g package to 100-150 ft and release it.  Can anyone recommend an inexpensive drone that a beginner like myself could use for this purpose?  Thanks!

Hi,JackieThis is nick from MMCUAV,We own 10+ years in producing industrial drones.

I think you need a quadcopter,since you need  an inexpensive drone(carry 400g),it's better you buy from China,

Our quadcopter can carry 3kg,but our drones are not cheap,cost more than 5000usd.

I suggest you to check on alibaba.There are many solutions.