My UAV Build

569fa0bb463f2_IMG_0098(1).thumb.png.c80f

• Frame - S500 (HK)
  • Flight Controller - APM 2.6 + GPS and external compass (3DR clone from Amazon)
  • FC anti-vibration mount (Amazon)
  • 915 Mhz Telemetry ground and air modules  (3DR clones from Amazon)
  • ESCs - Turnigy Multistar 20A (HK) updated with simonk firmware
  • Motors - Turnigy D2830/11 1000KV
  • Power distribution board - HK
  • Receiver - Frsky X8R from (Aloft Hobbies)
  • Transmitter - FrSky Taranis X9D (Aloft Hobbies) updated with OpenTX 2.x firmware.
  • Propellers - Turnigy Slow Flyer 10x4.5 (HK)
  • Battery - Turnigy 3 cell, 20-30C, 2200mAh LiPo (HK)
  • Battery charger - IMAX B6AC Version 2 by SKYRC (Amazon)
  • Battery level sensor alarm (HK)
  • Tarot 2 axis gimbal and controller for a Mobius camera (HK)
  • Camera (Mobius Actioncam)

HK - Hobbyking

Testing of the autonomous return to home feature.

Alan, Its actually a rebuild of a Kickstarter project (Fourbot) that I backed a few years ago. I ended up with a bunch of cheap components, no build instructions and very little support from the project creator. With a lot of googling and help from other backers I got it built and in the air but was unhappy with the poor quality of parts so I have been gradually replacing them. From the list above the motors and ESCs are still from the original kickstarter project everything else as been replaced or added. Although that KS project was poorly managed I have no regrets backing it as it got me hooked on this technology and I have learnt a lot rebuilding it. My plan now is to build a more professional type of UAV, most likely a 600-700mm hex with retractable landing gear, 3 axis gimbal, 3DR pixhawk controller etc...

Cheers - Richard

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I thought I would provide an update on my build. I replaced the Turnigy D2830/111000KV motors with the following which I purchased on Amazon in a pack of 2 CCW and 2 CW. They are great motors for the price.

• 4 Emax MT2213 935KV ($52)

I also have added wireless video to the camera and ground station with the following also purchased from Amazon.

• Eachine 700tvl ET200 5.8G 32CH 200mW FPV Transmitter ($22)
  • Eachine ER32 5.8G 32CH Wireless AV Mini FPV Receiver ($22)
  • Generic 7 inch TFT LCD Color 2 Video Input Car RearView Headrest Monitor ($24)
  • RC Buy360 High Quality 7 inch FPV LCD Monitor Sun Shade Hood for DJI Phantom Video FPV Ground Station ($9)

I am not using the above for FPV but simply to be able to monitor live video from the camera. I've mounted the monitor on an old camera tripod that I already had. I wanted to add some photos but the forum software is not allowing me because of size so will try again at a later date.

Hey there @Spitfire76! Images now need to be less than 1MB to be uploaded. Usually if you open up your image in a photo editor and reduce it's size by 50%, that should do it. Large file sizes cripple the servers and make this forum SUPER expensive to maintain, so we set a cap for now. Sorry for the trouble! Would love to see your build.

• 1 month later...

Replaced landing gear for a retractable set - HML680 from HK which are made of carbon fiber and so are incredible light but hopefully strong. My S500 frame looks a bit small on it though but I wanted to test it out first before moving to a larger hex frame. I know that the main reason to have retractable landing gear is to allow the camera to have an unobstructed view but I just thing they look great. My only concern is if it fails to deploy....IMG_0229.JPG.cf5fb3e1a1aa61d3809ebdfb7e5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My new frame, a S550 from HK. The plan is to move most of the components from my S500 quad to this larger frame but I may replace the APM FC with a Pixhawk mini to be able to run the later versions of software. I will need 2 more motors and  a pair of ESCs as this is a hex. The picture shows the non retractable landing gear that came with the frame but I will eventually replace it with the HML650 retracts that I already have.

IMG_0333.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2016 at 4:16 PM, Spitfire76 said:

This hex build is on hold while I decide if I should spend a few hundred dollars on the parts or put that money towards a ready built one like the DJI P4 or Autel X-Star Premium. 

Project resumed, just ordered 6 Sunny Sky X2212 motors for it. I will use X-Rotor 40A ESCs, I know its a bit of over-kiil for these motors but the price was the same as the 20A. I most likely will get the Pixhawk Lite as the FC as I got fed up waiting for the Pixhawk Mini which was meant to be released by now.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 2:00 PM, R2 D2 said:

How did you build it? But a fantastic build!:)

@R2 D2 the previous photo is just the S550 frame which I purchased from Hobbyking. Below is a photo of the progress so far. I've added 6 SunnySky X2212 motors and Hobbywing's Xrotor 40 amp ESCs. For the initial testing I will use the APM 2.6 flight controller from my previous quad build but will most likely go with the recently released Pixhawk2 flight controller once they are more readily available.

IMG_0422.png

Edited by Spitfire76
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I just noticed that my first post to this thread was over a year ago!. The main change over that time has been to go from a quad to a hex frame but I was still using the original flight controller, an APM 2.6 board running Arducopter and so I have finally got around to ordering a Pixhawk to replace it. I was waiting for the Pixhawk 2.1 to be back in stock but they seem to be in high demand as they are relativity new. I also decided to upgrade the GPS to an Ublox NEO-M8N.

Edited by Spitfire76

I received a Pixhawk 2.4.8 and a GPS/compass from banggood.com but the compass will not calibrate. Also I suspect that the GPS is not a genuine Ublox M8N. I used the the GPS/compass from my APM and that seems to calibrate just fine so once it stops raining here in Northern California I'll take it for a test flight. Issue reported to Banggood so hopefully I can get a refund on the GPS/compass.

Edited by Spitfire76

It might not be the GPS.  Did you check the compass on anything else.  Chances are the Pixhawk is a clone.  I'd suggest purchasing a Ardupilot/PX4 based flight controller from an authorized reseller like AUAV.  It might cost more but the clones can take so much time to debug its probably not worth the savings.