Registration question - part 107 or recreation

Is this a common situation for a new part 107 pilot? I have a drone that I won't be using commercially for at least a year. I'd like to build up my flying skills with it. Should I just register it as recreation? Then, when I'm ready to use it commercially, cancel the recreation registration and re-register as part 107 commercial?

I wasn't aware there's a difference when it comes to registration?  That's a great question.

My preference would be to register as a hobbyists.  On one hand if you register for recreation, build your confidence and have the opportunity for a paying gig what do you do?  Do it under the table or do you re-register it commercially?  On the other hand if you register commercially you always have the choice to do either.  All I know was that while I was learning to fly everyone gave you some latitude to screw up when over the radio you said those infamous words, "I'm a student pilot."  I still use those words occasionally and I've been a pilot for forty years...

But then again aren't we always learning.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

I wasn't aware there's a difference when it comes to registration?  That's a great question.

My preference would be to register as a hobbyists.  On one hand if you register for recreation, build your confidence and have the opportunity for a paying gig what do you do?  Do it under the table or do you re-register it commercially?  On the other hand if you register commercially you always have the choice to do either.  All I know was that while I was learning to fly everyone gave you some latitude to screw up when over the radio you said those infamous words, "I'm a student pilot."  I still use those words occasionally and I've been a pilot for forty years...

But then again aren't we always learning.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

Thanks for the advice, I like the part about "I'm a student pilot.". I posed the same question on a Part 107 Facebook group. There were multiple suggestions, but one person pointed to the second bullet on the FAA page www.FAA.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

"Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107."

That's the route I'm going to take, register it as Part 107.