Hi all!

I currently live in Sacramento, CA and will potentially relocate to Phoenix, AZ later this year. I've got my Part 107 license a little less than 2 years ago after attending Drone Pilot Ground School - FAA Part 107 Test Prep & Training Course in 2018-2019. I've now also been flying my own drone for a couple of months. I have a background in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and also in Environmental Science, and recently I’ve been working as a Field Biologist in Northern California. I have a few years of experience in GIS and also extensive experience with Global Positioning Systems (GPS) field data collection, post-processing and mapping, and their applications to natural resource monitoring. I was once involved in a multi-collaborator USDA research project that monitored specialty crops in the California Central Valley. Right now I am trying to broaden up my skillset and also supplement my income by turning a new hobby into a second career, if possible. I would love to find any kind of drone commercial work so that I can get some more experience with drone piloting and imagery processing.

Currently I fly a DJI Mavic Air, which is my first own drone, and which I purchased last November to help improve my drone operation skills. I actually found myself being impressed with my Mavic Air so far, which has 4K capabilities, among other things. So far I have taken a few short videos and still imagery, mostly as testing the drone around town. I am interested in finding contract/mission work and would consider a diverse array of drone photography and videography opportunities, such as those in real estate, natural resources including vegetation mapping, construction, energy, agriculture and/or filmmaking. I also have a bit of experience with applications such as DroneDeploy, DJI GO 4, and with stand-alone photography using 360-degree cameras. I'm a bit lost on how to pursue new career goals right now though, especially in this COVID-19 world, but I’ve been doing a lot of research lately and I’m hoping to find some kind of drone work. Vegetation surveying and mapping is one of my areas of expertise as a Biologist, so I guess I wouldn’t mind translating these skills into the world of drones and doing some plant mapping work or NDVI index imagery analyses.

And that's me in a nut-shell. I would also love the opportunity to connect with other new drone pilots in the area, and possibly collaborate on drone missions. I am excited to be involved within this forum and community. Thank you for reading my short bio and having me here!

@Roxanne C-KWelcome to the forum. 

it appears that you have the experience and many of the skills required to have a career in the commercial UAV industry.  If you an figure out how to take the experience you have with GIS, agriculture, and environmental studies on the ground and extend your reach accurately to 200 ft, you will have a lucrative career.  If on the other hand you take a toy drone with a mediocre camera and try to compete producing YouTube videos to compete with my 17 year old nephew, well that’s not what I would consider a good path to walk. 

Focus on what you already know and have experience with.  It’s difficult to make a living with NDVI, for example. But if you’re good at analyzing the data and make it actionable then you’re way ahead of the majority of people who think they can do this because they can fly a drone. Any idiot can fly a drone (remember my 17 year old nephew?).  

From  the sound of your bio your in a much better position than most to figure this out. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for having me on this forum! I appreciate all the advice and tips. 

Please feel free to share any opportunities you may come across that might be a good match. I'm also interested in collaborating on drone work, and/or any training opportunities that might lead to finding new opportunities. 

One of the challenges with the commercial drone industry is that work is never next door..  

We're in Southern California.  We did a lot of scanning for PG&E but we're probably not going to be doing much more of that.

Much obliged again for having me on this discussion! I appreciate all the counsel and tips. 

If it's not too much trouble, don't hesitate to share any chances you may go over that may be a decent match. I'm likewise keen on teaming up on robot work, and additionally any preparation openings that may prompt finding new freedoms.

Thank you, I appreciate all the tips and advice! As I might have already mentioned, please don't hesitate to contact me if any drone work opportunities may arise. I am also interested in collaborating, so I welcome any advice and/or leads on this as well. 

On 2/5/2021 at 5:17 PM, William4170 said:

Much obliged again for having me on this discussion!  Roof drones I appreciate all the counsel and tips. 

If it's not too much trouble, don't hesitate to share any chances you may go over that may be a decent match. I'm likewise keen on teaming up on robot work, and additionally any preparation openings that may prompt finding new freedoms.

Thanks