Backyard flying under Class D airspace?

I want to fly in my backyard and I am in Class D airspace with a local General Aviation airport. Can I do this and do I need to apply, and where do I apply for permission?  Most of the time I'm flying as close to the ground as I can and the backyard is walled in.  I have a Spark and a Mini, and I paid the $5.00 to register.

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

- Dave

Ok, I found the information on the automated approval system for each flight called, LAANC.  I put in a couple of requests and got immediate response approving them.  I used 400 ft altitude just to test limits for approval, the max offered on the system, and the limit was about 6 hours for a window of time, and drew a box on my backyard to define the boundaries.  I was hoping to be able to enter multiple days, or put in a whole day, but at least it allowed me to save some of the entries and I can put them in for future dates/days.  And I got email confirmation which were a little confusing since they used the standard aviation Zulu time instead of local time.  I had to enter the drone model, Spark, and it didn’t allow me to enter my second model, the Mini, but it allows you to overlap requests so I can enter the Mini on a second request.

One confusing thing, the FAA doesn’t seem to offer an automated system and it is done by private companies. I used AirMap.com.

@Dave_5280 welcome to the forum. 

Where are you relative to the runway?  I’m guessing if LAANC issued a 400’ clearance, your on the upwind/downwind. 

Here’s some not so much advice as a couple of things to think about.  Whether your a hobbyist or Part107, your restricted to 400’, so the LAANC is not really restricting you and I’m not sure you can get a LAANC clearance without being a Part107. Do you know the TPA?  Can you see the tower from your yard?  

Honestly if I lived there I would fly in my backyard for the love of flying as a hobbyist, keep it well below 400’ and not apply for the LAANC.  

I’m 4.4 miles from the end of the nearest runway- a big 10,000 footer.  The general aviation airport is very busy with over 400,000 takeoff and landings a year, pre-Covid.  I learned to fly there and got my pilot’s license.

I knew about the 400 ft limit.  I thought I was required to get LAANC clearance, and I found it is really easy and fast.   I usually fly much lower, like 1 to 3 ft off the ground, but thought the 400 limit would give me room if I decided to go up for some pictures - I think 300 is about the highest I’ve been.

I agree, I will probably stop filing.  I don’t pose much of a danger flying 1 ft off the ground - accept the drones try to land occasionally at that height - laugh.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice!

On 2/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, Dave_5280 said:

I agree, I will probably stop filing.  I don’t pose much of a danger flying 1 ft off the ground - accept the drones try to land occasionally at that height - laugh.

Hi!
Is this close to the ground even considered airspace D?
I know it says it starts from the surface, 
But you're probably taller than 1ft, so your body is not really in the airspace.
I was wondering if anything below your tallest property, either house or tree in the backyard, is just private property and not airspace?

Regards

2 hours ago, YourBelowAveragePilot said:

I was wondering if anything below your tallest property, either house or tree in the backyard, is just private property and not airspace?

Unfortunately, it is.  Class D goes all the way to the ground and the FAA would be the first to tell you that there is no private airspace (unless your Disney then you can get a NFZ up to 2500 feet).  

Airspace_classes_(United_States).png.9ff339312325fc078eafe8c524cfc2aa.png

haha, yeah, I read about the special Disney zone for safety reasons.

But I also read that when flying over private property, the space that is considered something like "personal usable" would be restricted, e.g. 
I could hover my drone 1ft inside your backyard, 
But it'll be ok flying 100ft above your house.
Is that right?

Luckily I live just a dozen of blocks outside of my E airspace airport :)