Here’s Everything We Know about DJI’s Forthcoming FPV Drone

DJI’s products never seem to launch without a leak or two.

But lately these leaks have gone from a few pieces of information here and there to full-on lists of specs and details about the product. 

And DJI’s forthcoming FPV drone is an example of this new normal—we first started hearing about it last summer in connection with a patent for a camera that looked like it could be made for an FPV drone, and since then the leaks have just kept coming.

We've even gotten a glimpse of the actual product:

dji-fpv-drone.jpg

So when will it actually launch? And why is it producing so much buzz?

Read today's post to read everything we know so far about DJI's forthcoming FPV drone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

Not that I’m bitter and tired of competing with plastic toy drones.

Is your crew doing close proximity cinema?

One of my fav athletes (super humans) is Danny MacAskill.  Some classy close proximity drone work (Andy Lawrence) in his last video for anyone interested.

Edited by Dave Pitman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

We need a drone that can fly in 50 knots of wind and has enough fps, 120, at 4k ideally.

We have yet to have our needs met and are hoping that the fpv pro version will be able to do so finally.

Do you think this is wishful thinking in this version?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@Zacc Dukowitz MacAskill is such a modest and nice guy with superhuman skills.  Another guy like that is skier Candide Thovex.  Candide's latest video share his pal Aziz Benkrich, who is also incredibly talented, shoots the video and is so good that in the comments some think it was shot with an FPV drone. 

While off topic for DJI's FPV drone, the skiing and video capture skills are definitely worth a couple minute view.

• Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 8:40 PM, Dave Pitman said:

Is your crew doing close proximity cinema?

We don't do any cinema.  I worked in the entertainment industry for about 20 years developing tech for digital film effects.  We sold the Software we developed to Apple in 2002 and I called it a day.

6 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

MacAskill is such a modest and nice guy with superhuman skills.

That guy is insane.  Having said that, I really enjoy watching Danny MacAskill.  It's so great to watch someone who's so talented but so gracious and so humble.  While watching the first video I couldn't help thinking one mistake and his career, if not his life could be over in the blink of an eye.  It was interesting hearing in the behind the scene video that his crew felt the same way and there were moments they couldn't watch.   All of those guys are talented but I think the FPV cinematography kind of detracts from his performance. Too many sweeping arcs and flyby's.  In the ski video the camera guy kept all the attention on the skier.  Both are really talented but I really wanted to see the drone follow Danny on some of the more technical transitions down the slab. 

Both of these videos are great.  But the other difference I think worth mentioning is that Danny was risking his life and to a much lesser degree the lives of his crew but that was their choice.  As talented as the skier and camera operator are, they were endangering the lives of some really inexperienced skiers that came very close to getting hit.  At the speed he was traveling there would have been serious injury.  No matter how talented these guys are they're risking a lot to produce YouTube videos.     

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

It's so great to watch someone who's so talented but so gracious and so humble.  While watching the first video I couldn't help thinking one mistake and his career, if not his life could be over in the blink of an eye.  It was interesting hearing in the behind the scene video that his crew felt the same way and there were moments they couldn't watch.

Absolutely.

but I think the FPV cinematography kind of detracts from his performance.

I thought the racing drone was appropriately used.  So much proximity drone shots have the drone constantly doing whip-turns and diving 180s which totally distracts from the subject.

As talented as the skier and camera operator are, they were endangering the lives of some really inexperienced skiers that came very close to getting hit.  At the speed he was traveling there would have been serious injury.  No matter how talented these guys are they're risking a lot to produce YouTube videos.     

That was shot at those guys home resort.  They know it like the back of their hand.  But I agree, their talent can only account for 99% being able to avoid others. There is a chance they could take a bystander out which is not okay.

He did a project for Audi that was super interesting.  I'll link the video and the "making of" clip below. I think you'll like it?