Orangutan39

1st attempt at video editing

Hey all,

Here is my 1st try at video editing. I am using my DJI Phantom 3 Professional and Adobe Premier Pro CC. My budget did not allow me to get a MacBook and Final Cut Pro, but I am pretty happy with the Adobe program so far.  I still have a ton to learn though and I eventually need to figure out how to add music to make my videos better. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Orangutan39

Hey @Orangutan39

Nice first try at editing, some suggestions is to cut during the action, dont cut and have a second of still and then into some movement, try cutting right into the part of the movement. Also try to create a variety of cshort, medium and long shots, as this will create a more dynamic video. Keep them coming!

• Like 1

Thanks @RemotelyPossible!!! I've been watching a ton of tutorial videos on YouTube and on the Adobe website. Its a learning curve for sure. I will post some more soon. I am waiting to take the aerial cinematography class through UAV Coach, but it looks like it got pushed back into August. Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!!!

Chris

• Like 1

Nice first edit! Premiere Pro is awesome software! I use it as well in addition to Final Cut Pro X. I would say that music is definitely a must, even if you are just putting together a simple collage of video and don't care too much on editing to the beat, sometimes with the right track, music sounds great just being there subtly in the background.

As far as the footage goes, when filming, I would try to pay careful attention to keeping with the shot once you start a move, and then following through to the finish. For example, in the opening shot, when you start that pan to the left, it stops, then moves a little more, then continues again. You want to go for one, fluid small movement.

The beauty of editing though is that if you film a shot that doesn't do that, you can just choose to not put it in the cut! Of course, this only works if you have the same shot filmed again correctly but when you are out shooting, try to keep that in mind. I find myself guilty of this a lot, hitting record and not being sure of what I want it to look like so I move the camera around, try a movement, but stop in the middle because I am not sure if I like it. But, then when I look at the footage in post, I wish I had just continued with that move because it would have been a good shot to use. Now when I go flying, whether in manned helicopters or with my drone, I always try to just follow through with the shot and make it the best smooth move I can, and then evaluate in post if it is good or not instead of wasting time and money in the air.

If you haven't already, make sure to check out the course promo page, watch the promo video, and sign up for updates. My co-instructor, Brendan, and I are very excited to start this course on UAV Coach with Alan! We can't wait to start working with students like you to perfect the art of aerial cinematography and editing.

http://learn.uavcoach.com/courses/aerial-cinematography

• Like 1