mfsinger

Yuneec vs DJI for first time purchase

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to both the forum and the UAV world. About four months ago, I had decided to purchase a Yuneec Typhoon H but wasn't able to follow through. I'm back in the purchasing mode again and I'm trying to decide what I should buy. I am considering a Yuneec Typhoon 4k but wanted input from others. I'm going to wait until I'm a bit more seasoned to buy a Typhoon H Pro. About six months ago I picked up a DJI standard quad but wasn't overly impressed with how cheap the controller felt. I also didn't like the way it clamped on to your mobile device, which also made me realize I wasn't overly fond of using my iPhone 6S as the nav screen. While I am a fan of my Apple devices, they can be glitchy. Maybe I'm wrong for jumping to this conclusion (or feeling) so quickly. With that said, DJI versus Yuneec, any input? My ultimate goal is probably just aerial cinematography. For what it's worth, I went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and was once a pilot. Life took me in another direction and I never flew commercially. I live on about 40 acres of land so I've got plenty of area to practice. Thanks

Hey

Great to have you here @mfsinger i have had lots of experience with DJI and they have a good product i am going to see if anyone out there who uses the typhoon would be able to chime in on how those are. Very Jealous of all that land to practice on! At the end of the day it will come down to how you feel about the particular drone. 

• Like 1

Hello  @mfsinger

I have both Yuneec and DJI. My first purchase was the Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ got it for a good price. After owning that for a year I also bought the DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

Both have costs pretty close from low to high end.

Yuneec Typhoons

Pros: Built pretty solid, fly's pretty well, good video and pictures. Video monitor in controller doesn't need an attached phone/tablet.Good for inspections, real-estate pictures and video has 1080P/4k built in camera. 

Cons: Can only fly manually no controllable waypoints except the Typhoon H however that cannot be pre-programmed. You have fly it manual and select where/when pictures to take prior. "Cable Cam". Cannot be used effective for mapping or 3D modeling. 

DJI Phantoms

Pros: Built pretty well. Built in camera 1080p/4K camera. Pictures has Geotags that makes mapping and 3D modeling available. Can be pre-programed for waypoints for mapping and 3D modeling. Can take off and land to pre-programed course.

Cons: Requires phone or tablet to see video and fly.  

Haven't found anything else in the cons for the DJI. However I do like my Typhoon a little bigger then the phantom. Easier to land and take off. Not crazy about the stilts DJI has for legs while the Typhoon has a wider stance.

Been only DJI for a few months but I needed the mapping capability.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you. I would have responded sooner but I was traveling all day. From an aesthetics perspective, I really like the looks of the Typhoon 4K. I also like the integrated screen in the controller. My concern with using a personal mobile device is the possibility of failure if it disconnects from the controller. I think they compensated for this with the DJI Phantom 4 because I'm pretty sure I saw a cable connection to the remote. I just don't want to drop $1300+. If I'm going to do that, I'll get the Typhoon H. Although I think the Typhoon H Pro is more like $1900. Ugh. Right now I'm looking at the "training" phase of my journey into UAVs. I'm really tempted to just get the 4K AND a DJI Phantom 3. If I go that route, I need to consider a step below the Phantom 3 Professional as I think it is a bit more than I'd like to go. I figure I'll find a package deal online with extra batteries and cases. 

Decisions, decisions... 

• Like 1

Yes we all feel for you. I have been through that road before. I picked up my typhoon before I took the mapping and modeling course UAV Coach offers.  It gives a good look at different models. From my previous note some of the requirements mostly pointed to 3DR Solo, DJI Phantom and Inspire, and soft mentioned of DIY however a lot work and fidgeting.  This is due of requirements of geotags, and capability of taking multiple pictures on a pre-programmed course altitude/coordinates. An example just a small patch of land in a cornfield with my DJI taken about 60 pictures for a basic map.

Example

Screen Shot 07-31-16 at 02.27 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 07-31-16 at 02.28 PM.PNG

This enters into a whole other area I've never thought about. I used to be in video production and did a lot of editing. Lately I've noticed a lot of TV programs using footage that was obviously obtained via a drone. I think the one I watched last night was a Travel Channel show about hidden swimming spots around the world. When I see those it makes me think of potential. Now I see other potential. Time to hit Amazon and order my first one.

Ugh... I was unaware of 3DR until I read this blog. I saw a display at Best Buy as I was hurrying through and now I know what it was. I remember thinking "what brand is that?". So now I'm reading all about their items. The one thing I did notice is that the gimbal was a separate purchase and seemed to be specific to a GoPro. I own a GoPro but it's the Hero Session which is the small cube. And then there's the GoPro Karma coming eventually. More decisions...

I agree it is an information overload. It is hard to pick one. How I look at it now is compare it with a tool bock. What kind of car are you going to work on and what kind of work are you going to do to it

It depends on your final destination.  I have also taken the course UAV Boot Camp that is offered here that was really helpful. It gets into comparison of different brands of quadcopters. It also helps in preparing your flying skills.

Here is another link that might also help. http://www.rcquadcopterhq.com/quadcopter-comparison-table/

Part of my toolbox I will be also purchasing the 3DR Solo. I am a computer geek so I like tech.

The solo does comes with the gimbal but at a cost. You have to be careful on what package some come with and without.  If its under $600 most cases it is without. You will see the picture of the Solo and the gimbal is grayed out or it has bracket frame to attach the GoPro but misses out the functionality of the gimbal. 

The new DJI's really have a complete package excluding the need for the phone/tablet. One item I really like since I bought the professional and not wanting to worry about the eventual crash that I got the DJI Care that they offer.

DJI Care is a service plan that provides you with peace of mind, covering damage to your DJI aircraft, gimbal or camera sustained during normal use.During DJI Care'speriod of validity, if accidental damage occurs during normal use, repair fees and related costs will be covered by DJI.

I haven't seen other vendors offer this unless I missed it.

Edited by olesailor
  • Like 1

After all of this, I've decided on a DJI Phantom 4 as my first purchase. I'm debating on whether I order a package deal on Amazon and wait 2-5 days or if I drive to Best Buy and pay a bit more with sales tax. So my next question is if anyone has flown this model and what device they use with the remote? I own an iPhone 6S but I'm thinking about getting an iPad Mini 4. I've read that the grip on the remote won't fit an iPad Air which I currently own. The iPhone 6S just seems so small. I would think a larger screen would be better. Anybody have input here?

• Like 2

I'm a newbie so take my input for what it's worth. I bought the DJI P3 Adavnced - same as the pro version but with a 2.7K camera instead of 4K. So easy to fly this thing in GPS mode. I don't mean to downplay the importance of learning and being prepared as I watched hours of tutorials. But this machine is sweet.

I hope to evolve to a career of sorts, but for me time is the new currency so something on the side that can support my new "habit" will suffice. 

Can't imagine shooting video without a gimbal. I'm amazed at the smooth results and image quality. 4K might be a bit challenging to edit for another year or so. 

I got mine from Amazon but not a package, Of course now I have purchased extra batteries, hardshell backpack ipad mini shade cover, controler harness etc. Not sure if the package deal would have saved that much, but probably.

I fly with an older ipad mini which is ok but gets hot here in NC summertime. Also had to buy anti glare cover so I could see it better.

Hope that helps. I feel great about my DJI purchase. Now I'm trying to learn more about video editing.

@GMillsNC:Video editing was my career for many years! I started on Adobe Premiere but switched to Final Cut Pro. I stepped away about 5 years ago but it stays with you. The technology just changes.

I did some editing about 5 years ago as a hobby working on family camcorder videos. Like all things technical the field has expanded exponentially!!

I purchased Cyberlink Powerdirector 13 based on reviews and price. I'm sure i'll upgrade to more sophisticated s/w once i understand the basics better.

Are there any tutorials on the subject you would recommend? 

I'm not familiar with that software but I'll take a look at the specs later and get a feel for it. They are all pretty much the same. Then I'll be able to give some input. Watch for a private message from me later... I assume I can message you through the forum. No need to post it all here. 

I just finished my first flight with my Phantom 4! What a freaking rush!!! AMAZING!!! I couldn't stop laughing and giggling like a 5 year old. I'm hooked. It was on 4K at first so I moved that down to 1080p. The 4K video isn't very good. It's very choppy so either there is an issue, or my MacBook Pro is too old and underpowered to support it. Since I bought extra batteries, I'm heading back out to get some more air time in! WAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

• Like 1