Ray Woodbury

UAV Canada

I'm just beginning my UAV career. I am registered to take flight school in Calgary in August. I'm a millwright by trade and intend on becoming a Transport Canada compliant operator in order to start my own business conducting industrial inspections.  I've never been an RC hobbyist but I have some electronics training from time spent in the military. I'd be interested in talking with anyone that can give me insight into beginning an sUAV company especially fellow Canucks, but I'll gladly talk about anything as I have so much to learn. I ordered a Syma x5c-1 today just to learn the very basics of flying. I intend to buy a Draganflyer commercial drone as soon as I'm up to speed. 

The best of luck, Ray! The Syma will be your boot camp and I believe you will learn to avoid crashing it very soon (lol but not lol). I started with a DM007 and then carried on designing and building my own drones for aerial photography (see my other posts).

The Draganfly seems fine, but looking at vieos takes with it I can detect the typical lack of video quality, not due to the camera but to the drone's configuration.

If you are serious about videoing and inspections, you should look at hexacopters or octocopters: they are far more stable, definitely better in case of motor failure (in a quads, if you loose one moter or ESC, disaster occurs, while with a hexa or octo you will bring them home) and will last longer. The cost may be a little higher, unless you are capable of designing and building one yourself, but it will pay in time.

One that I would suggest is the Falcon 8 by AscTech:

http://www.asctec.de/en/asctec-professional-uav/inspection-pro-industrial-drone-inspection-solution/

http://www.asctec.de/en/uav-uas-drone-applications/uav-aerial-imaging-hd-video-film/

Cheers from Bruno